This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Hello lovely readers! Love is in the air as February quickly approaches, so here are my top 10 date ideas in Ottawa that aren’t skating on the canal (since unfortunately it will probably be closed). Whether you’re celebrating Valentines, Galentines, or maybe practicing self-love and taking yourself out, these options will have you head over heels! 

1. Trofi 

Looking to wow your partner with an unforgettable experience? Look no further than Trofi. With its wall-to-wall floral decor and delicious food such as their flaming souvlaki brochettes, Trofi will have your date feeling like you took them on a romantic getaway to the Mediterranean. The restaurant has plentiful options for sharing if you’re looking for that excuse to get a little closer. Their cocktails are absolutely to die for, especially their Lavender Fizz and White Chocolate Espresso Martini, which taste amazing and are perfectly picturesque. Trofi also offers an entirely halal menu (except for one item which contains pork) and plentiful options for mocktails!

2. Winter Hike

Sunset over the National Arts Centre (Ottawa,ON)
Original photo by Stephanie Reed

Getting exercise together can help raise those endorphins for you and your partner. Combined with the beautiful scenery these hikes in the Ottawa-Gatineau area are sure to elevate your romance this year! My top recommendations are: 

• Piney Forest: This offers an easier hiking experience while still providing the escape to nature your lover will thank you for!
  • Sugarbush Trail: This trail is accessible through Gatineau Park and offers spectacular views of the creek and plenty of picture-perfect locations to take your Valentine’s Instagram photo!

3. Koena Spa

Looking to get away but save the exercise for later? Try Koena Spa! Located in Aylmer, it is a much closer alternative to the famous Nordik Spa and also offers a wider range of packages including their Romantic Stay package which gives access to the hotel and the spa as well as included drinks! This option is perfect for if you’re looking for that all inclusive gift/date combo!

4. Grounded Kitchen and Coffee House

Grounded Kitchen is such a hidden gem and incredibly underrated. They have two locations in Ottawa: one on Gloucester Street and the other on Carling Avenue. An absolute must-try is their Whipped Feta Dip which has to be the best dip in Ottawa, and their passion fruit cocktail ‘The Fergie’ is sure to infuse your night with passionate love!

5. The Moon Room

If you’re looking for something more accessible on a student budget, look no further than The Moon Room. It’s giving speakeasy vibes while keeping it classy and romantic with more private tables and low lighting, perfect for those quiet souls looking to connect. Careful though because wow the drinks are strong here!

6. Wilf and Ada’s

Are you more of a morning person? Then Wilf and Ada’s is your Valentine’s Day date! They don’t take reservations, but are extremely popular for their amazing breakfast. The restaurant is a quaint space with only a few tables so you’re sure to get that intimate vibe. Their shakshuka is authentic, delicious, and perfect for sharing! However, if you’re looking to get a table you will likely have to be an early riser and line up at the door! 

7. Absolute Comedy 

If you’re looking to impress on a first date but feeling kind of nervous, here’s an opportunity for you to laugh it off and calm those nerves! Absolute Comedy hosts local comedians and will have you and your date laughing it up by the end of the evening, replacing that nervous energy with good memories and a spark!

8. Bytown Cinema

tao and elle on a movie date in heartstopper season 2
Netflix/See-Saw

Vintage girls, I got you with this one. Take your Valentine back to the olden days at Bytown Cinema, a vintage movie theater on Rideau Street! Cozy up with your date and some popcorn for an unforgettable night on a budget. 

9. Host a Galentines Night!

galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio

If you’re loving the single life or just looking to make memories with friends, then hosting a Galentines is a great way to celebrate! You can decorate the house, make some delicious themed drinks and baked goods, create vision boards to manifest love in 2024, and watch a wholesome romantic comedy!

10. Stay home together 

This option is perfect for those looking to save money, and stay home for the evening. You and your partner can spend time together cooking a delicious meal and making your own Valentine’s Day-themed drinks—which you can find ideas for here!

No matter what you choose to do, the team at Her Campus at uOttawa wishes you a happy Valentine’s Day!

Hannah Smith

U Ottawa '25

I am a 4th year Conflict Studies and Human Rights student at University of Ottawa! I'm originally from Alberta and spend most of my free time outside hiking, climbing, skiing, or skating. For work I'm a waitress and bartender and love to socialize and explore the variety of delicious food and drinks Ottawa has to offer. I also am an avid activist for feminist issues and spend a lot of time analyzing the media I consume, and can't wait to share these thoughts with y'all!