alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 10 Emojis We Gave a Meaning To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

1. Side-eye
Even though this emoji is a simple side-eye to the left, we’ve revamped it to become a symbol we use when we recognize that shade has been thrown. In other words, we see the attitude you’re dishing out, and this emoji is calling you out on it. On another note, it could also mean that you’re the one dishing out some burns.

2. Upside down smiley face
Some people see it as a harmless upside down smiley face, while others see it as an opportunity to sass the hell out of anyone who gets in their way. Being sarcastic about something? Wanting to sassily get the point across that you’re irritated by something? Become one with the passive-aggression and use this emoji.

3. Monkey covering eyes
We’re pretty sure it’s the “hear no evil, see no evil, bla bla bla,” but in the game of flirting with someone via text message, it has a whole other meaning. This emoji can be used to indicate bashfulness or just plain old cuteness.

4. Girl with “the wrist”
Either this girl is giving the biggest unconcerned hair flip in all hair flip history or she’s flicking her wrist because she just roasted someone to smithereens. Either way, it’s the best emoji to use when you’re sorry but not sorry.

5. Peach
To be completely blunt: this isn’t a peach, it’s a butt… and don’t even get me started on the eggplant.

6: Dancing girls
This emoji could be as simple as just two girls in dancing uniforms… well… dancing. However, our young and hip minds perceived it as when you’re twinning with your best friend. When do you use this emoji? Well, basically whenever you do something fun with your best friend, indicating that you’re clearly soul mates and will be forever.

7. Sun and moon
These emojis look terrifying, let’s be real. That being said, who would ever use these? Believe it or not, we’ve found a pretty good use for them and it’s to express social awkwardness and discomfort (it doesn’t have to be in a social setting). I mean, you could also just be a total creeper and use it to mess with your friends, too. The internet also made pretty funny memes about it when it first came out.

8. 100 + checkmark

When you’re generally slaying the competition, this emoji is usually used when you think you’re doing well in life; be it a new car, new outfit, doing well on an exam, etc. Don’t worry though, it won’t make you sound cocky. If anything it’ll show that you’re proud of what you’ve accomplished. You can also use this dynamic duo to comment on posts of your friends that you like. An emoji is the ultimate compliment, and emoji is worth a thousand words.

9. Sunglasses
This emoji is probably the most fun to use and can be utilized in a whole bunch of different settings. For one, you could use it in the summer when you’re looking cool and tan on a beach. On the other side of the spectrum, you can use it as a totally sarcastic crutch to just show the people you’re talking to that you no longer give any shits.

10. Clapping hands
This emoji is never really used often with the intent of giving anyone a congratulatory applause, let’s be real. In fact, it’s mostly used to GET YOUR POINT ACROSS WITH SASSY SENTENCE STRUCTURE. It can also be used while sending an encouraging text to a friend, as well. This emoji is probably the most fun to use while being overly flamboyant, because why not?

Bonus:

Emoji set #1
Of course, we just have the general set that looks like it’s from a Rihanna music video.

Emoji set #2
And don’t forget the Instagram aesthetic Emojis that we use to match the colour of the caption with the colours in out actual photo’s post. These Emojis are definitely the money shot of photo captions, the double stuffed Oreos in the cookie isle, that one time you were able to put all four corners of sheets on your bed with minimal struggle, etc. They just… look good, you feel?

Jesse Lesniowski, a 22 year-old student at uOttawa in the Environmental Science program. Loves writing, gardening, coffee, wine and making new memories.