Life > Academics

Tips for Making the Most of your Study Sessions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s that time of the year again… While fall is a wonderful season for a multitude of reasons — think pumpkins, colourful leaves, Halloween (!) — it also brings about things that aren’t quite as fun: the dreaded midterms. As a first-year student, I found this time to be particularly busy and even a little chaotic, especially compared to high school where here wasn’t really such a thing as midterm season. Basically, I’m quickly learning how stressful it can be and adapting to the change while still trying to do as well as possible. Over time, I’ve figured out some strategies to help me make the most of my study time. And while they may not be suitable for everyone, they have been extremely helpful. I hope they benefit you as much as they did for me!

Study tip #1

Try your best to attend every single one of your lectures and take plenty of notes! While it may be tempting to ditch your lectures on days that you’re busy with other coursework (especially if you think the lectures will be a waste of your time), they do exist for a reason! Although they can be a lot to handle at times, lectures can also be an excellent opportunity to get extra information from your professor. For instance, a professor might clarify what will or won’t be on a test or exam during their lecture — information that may not be explicitly mentioned on the syllabus. Another reason to attend lectures is that they allow for more of a connection between students and the professor to form, which could lead to increased participation in class and, as a result, a better understanding of the course material!

Study tip #2

Beat that procrastination! While procrastination is something we all fall victim to at one point or another, it is incredibly important that you avoid procrastinating your studying, particularly during a season as heavy and stressful as midterms. A useful strategy to overcome your tendency to procrastinate is to begin working on school-related tasks as soon as they’re assigned or become available. That way you can not only get a head start on the work, but also have the opportunity to relax a bit afterwards instead of leaving it until the last minute (when it would become much more stressful). Want some more tips for beating procrastination? Check out our How to End Procrastination Today, Not Tomorrow article!

Study tip #3

Try to see your university coursework as a job (because in a lot of ways, it is). Really, being in university is in itself a lot like a job. By devoting a dedicated amount of time to completing your coursework and studying during the day (even if it’s just one or two hours), you can make huge progress in your courses and eradicate that awful, stressful experience of having to cram your work and study the night before a due date or exam. With most jobs though, we try our best to dedicate a portion of our day to relaxing and doing things we love (whether that’s beginning a new book, spending time with loved ones, baking… whatever it is you love doing); be sure to keep this in mind! Maintaining a balance between your “job” (aka university) and the more entertaining aspects of your life is crucial so you don’t get burnt out or exhausted.

Get your head in those books and keep at it. You got this!

Maddie Bhamjee

U Ottawa '25

Hi, my name is Madeleine or Maddie!! I am a first-year student pursuing a double major in political science and philosophy. You'll find me writing!