This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Christmas is coming! Once we’re all through with exams, it’ll be home for the holidays to spend some much needed time with family and away from the stress of school. But there’s still something that may be on your mind when it comes to Christmas. Shopping. 

Sometimes, it can be difficult to know what to get your parents or siblings, or your friends, or your significant other. What do they want? What do they need? What would be considered “too expensive” in this case? It can be a lot to think of. But never fear! Here are some tips for you to follow when you’re looking to buy the perfect gift. 

Take a step back for a second

Ask yourself these questions: who am I shopping for right now? What kind of things do they like? What interests them? If you’re going to buy someone a gift for Christmas, it’s best to make sure it’s something they’ll actually like. Presumably, you know them very well and you’ll be able to take note of their interests and hobbies.

Make it personal

Once you have those questions answered, you can start to make it something that means something to both of you. Maybe you share the same hobby and want to get them something that you know will be useful and enjoyable for them. For example, say you love cooking with your mom and she does it a lot for fun. Buying her something that she can use to try new things in the kitchen may be something to keep an eye out for!

Find good deals

As students on a budget, it can be very hard to save up the money to buy your family certain things that you know they would enjoy. Plus it can be harder to find certain items in-store or online closer to the holidays. Keep an eye out for reasonably priced items that you know they’ll love throughout the month – this way you get them something perfect without breaking the bank.

What if you can’t find something for them?

This could also be considered another way to make the gift personal. Handmade gifts are, in my opinion, some of the best. It shows that the person really put time into thinking about you. So if you can’t find something for them, you can always make something for them instead! 

Second-year anthropology student at uOttawa.
Taylor is a 4th year student at the University of Ottawa studying Political Science and Philosophy. In addition to writing for Her Campus Taylor is the President of the University of Ottawa Equestrian Team, Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus uOttawa and the Vice President of the Ontario Collegiate Equestrian Association. Taylor spends her weekends competing with the team, and when she's not in class she can be found studying on campus. Taylor loves coffee, and tending to her plethora of plants.