This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Love them or hate them, interviews are an essential way for future employers to determine your compatibility with their organization and determine if you are indeed the right person for the job! Interviews may be found at the beginning or end of the selection process; some organizations may use them as a screening tool, while others see it as a last step, following ability or aptitude tests, skill assessments, or even work simulations. Both have their advantages, which are made clear in the graphic below. 

Graphic I created on Canva explaining interviews
Photo by Iconsy (2) and Pixabay from Canva / Design by Kayleigh Jeanveau

Whether found at the beginning or the end of the selection process, there are some key do’s and don’ts that remain the same for any potential candidate going through interviews: 

1. Do Your Research About the Organization: Just as the organization is taking the time to look into you through your résumé, reference checks, application forms, and more, you should be taking the time to do your homework on the organization. What is the company culture like? What is the organization’s mission statement? Does the organization operate locally, nationally, or even internationally? Platforms like Google, Linkedin, and Glassdoor are your best friend in seeking this information. Glassdoor even features possible interview questions submitted by previous employees.
  2. Make Sure to Practice: After finding out more about the business and possible interview questions the organization may ask, make sure to practice your answers. Whether it’s with a friend, family member, roommate, or even a mirror, the more familiar you are with your answers, the more confident you will appear in the interview. 
  3. Dress the Part: While information about the dress code is usually only provided after a candidate has been hired, when doing your research on the organization you may get a sense of the attire current employees are expected to wear. Spend some time scrolling through the organization’s social media pages or take a look at photos on the company website. If all else fails, use your judgment; an interview to be a lifeguard over the summer at your local pool would likely warrant a different outfit than an internship at a major bank. There are often differences in the preferred interview attire even within departments, while a finance or accounting department may prefer business formal, the marketing department may prefer a business casual attire that shows more of your personality. When in doubt, just go for something professional and neat. There’s nothing wrong with being overdressed – being underdressed, on the other hand, may lead to a negative first impression. 
  4. Demonstrate Interest in the Organization: While Co-op or Summer Internship hiring season may bring about several interviews – potentially even back-to-back over a single day – ensure you convey enthusiasm and a positive attitude during the every conversation with the hiring manager. No organization wants to feel like a second, third, or even last choice. Demonstrate interest in the organization by asking specific questions and tailoring your answers back to the company.
  5. Take a Moment if You Need It: Don’t be afraid to ask for a moment to think if you’re stumped on how to answer a particular question. A well thought out answer preceded by a candidate asking for a moment to think will likely be resonate better with the hiring manager than a rushed, unorganized answer filled with um’s and ah’s. 

Put the effort in, and you’ll kill all your interviews. Go get ‘em! 

Note: Some of this material was gathered from: Recruitment and Selection in Canada 7th Edition by Catano/Wiesner/Hackett.

3rd Year Human Resource Management student at the University of Ottawa
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!