This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you’ve been on TikTok recently, you’ve likely come across “that girl”: the girl who wakes up before 7 a.m. and makes her bed, immediately does a workout and showers, eats the healthiest home-cooked food on the planet, journals, has a 10-step skincare routine, only wears designer, and overall has the most aesthetic life you’ve ever seen (complete with a gorgeous apartment with a view). Yeah, “that girl,” the one who seems to have her **** together all the f’ing time. 

If you’re like me, you may too aspire to be “that girl,” but being “that girl” isn’t real. Sure, there are people who wake up early and workout before the sun rises or who go to bed before midnight, but the point is not so much about the healthy habits involved with this trend, but rather the unrealistic expectations that come along with the “that girl” aesthetic. Let me elaborate…

What you see on TikTok is what those girls want you to see. They don’t show you that some days it’s hard to get out of bed or that other days you only eat macaroni and cheese with a side of cinnamon buns. You don’t see the part of their life that isn’t always aesthetically pleasing. Therefore, when we compare our “unaesthetic” bad days to those unrealistic, perfect “that girl” TikTok posts, we’re comparing ourselves to something that doesn’t even exist. To add, even our “aesthetic”/good days may not look like those TikToks, and guess what… THAT’S OKAY. Being “that girl” doesn’t mean you have this 24/7 perfect aesthetic life. To me, being “that girl” should really mean you live your life happily and healthily; you nourish yourself with food that fuels you and makes you happy, you wake up when you feel rested, you exercise because you enjoy it and your body feels up for a workout, you wear clothes that you feel comfortable in, and most importantly, you understand that life isn’t a “perfect aesthetic” you need to have to feel like you’re making the most of it. Life is full of moments (neat and messy) that help you grow and learn, so why hide any of those moments and pretend they don’t exist. It’s time to get rid of the “that girl” aesthetic and instead embrace mindfulness. So, listen to your body, create healthy goals and intentions, but also remember that balance is key and treating ourselves, sleeping in, and resting our muscles are not reasons to feel guilty.

I guess what I am trying to say is “that girl” doesn’t exist, and neither should the unrealistic expectations you place on yourself to achieve that mold. So, embrace healthy habits that work for you and your body while also remembering that balance and moderation are essential for a happy and healthy mind and body. 

Victoria Paller

U Ottawa '22

Just a west coast girl living on the east coast. I love fitness, cooking, hockey, baking, snowboarding and my cat. I hope you like my blogs :-)