Culture > News

There’s More Work That Needs to be Done: How to Support Indigenous Communities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Indigenous peoples represent all of Canadian history and continue to be part of our present. However, these groups of peoples are still not given the same access and opportunities as the rest of Canada. 

• As of 2016, Statistics Canada recorded there being a population of over 1.7 million Indigenous and Metis peoples across Canada. 
  • 60% of these peoples are recorded as living under the poverty line, with 20% of these peoples not having access to clean drinking water. 
  • Canada has the world’s largest freshwater reserve, but there is still 20% of our Indigenous population who does not have access to this. Do you see the problem? 
  • Suicide rates among Inuit peoples is on average six to eleven times higher than the average Canadian 
  • In Canada, the average suicide rate is approximately 2%-4% among Canadians, however, within Indigenous communities, the average raises to anywhere from 13%-19%
  • Drug and alcohol use is extremely high within Indigenous communities. 33% of Indigenous peoples have a family member facing addition while 25% have a problem themselves. 

Do you see the problem? 

So How Can We Help? 

With non-stop promises from the Canadian government to make stronger efforts to support the Canadian Indigenous communities, we are still lacking results. Here are some ways that you can support your local Indigneous communities: 

• Donate: There are several Canadian organizations advocating for Indigenous rights. Check out the list here https://truenorthaid.ca/first-nations-charities-html/
  • Listen and Learn: Listen to Indigenous history, and understand how their land was taken from them, learn about their cultures and traditions
  • Volunteer: many organizations supporting Indigenous communities offer volunteer opportunities 
  • Attend Indigenous Traditional Events or Information Sessions: Across Canada there are many public Indigenous celebration events that are open to the public or take a look at your local university. Many post-secondary education centres have safe spaces for Indigenous students (and they hold events open to everyone)! 
  • Read/Watch Indigenous Literature: Paying attention to films and novels with Indigenous directors, and authors can give insight into Indigenous life and traditions 
  • Pay Attention to the Media: More often than not Provincial and Federal representatives speak on reconciliation toward Indigenous peoples and their communities (usually in reference to Residential Schools) 
  • Donate to Indigenous Communities: Check out https://canadianfeedthechildren.ca/donation/donate-to-aboriginal-communities/ to see opportunities to donate and support Indigenous communities living in poverty

These are only a few ways to support our Canadian Indigenous population, but there are more out there. Research ways to help your local communities! 

It’s important to remember that the abuse felt by the Indigenous population from the Canadian government and others has spanned over 500 years since the first landings of our French and English ancestors. It’s important that we break the chain, and instead of suppressing their needs we spend time supporting them and working toward getting the communities things like freshwater, mental health support, and proper reconciliation. 

Maddie is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa majoring in History. She is a major fan of Friends, and The Office and is a geek for all things history. Maddie loves food, relaxing, and her cat.
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!