Why I Believe Criminal Minds is the Superior TV Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Contrary to popular belief, I do not think that Grey’s Anatomy is the best show in the world. I appreciated it for a few seasons, but it became way too repetitive at around the five-season mark. Now Criminal Minds, on the other hand, I can watch multiple episodes a day without getting tired of my sweet BAU team, and here’s why.

1- The cast is *chef’s kiss*

Whether we’re talking looks-wise or personality-wise, I love the dynamic of this group. We have the nerdy-looking Reid, my adult crush, compared to my sweet muscular Morgan, my childhood crush. The eccentric Garcia is also at the top of my list of favourite characters! I also have to admit that JJ and Emily are definitely my girl crushes. Hotch keeps giving daddy vibes and what can I say about my sweet Italian Rossi? Blake also holds a special place in my heart because she’s both a professor and a behavioural analyst, which is impressive if you ask me. Obviously, as any good show must do, some characters come and go, but Elle and Gideon will always have a special place in my heart (especially because it feels like I’ve known them since I was around eight years old).

2- The plot

If you’re anything like me, you tend to forget stuff easily and might not have the greatest attention span. Besides some background life stories, most of the show focuses on random murders so you don’t need any prior knowledge. You don’t have to remember who dated who or who slept with who *cough* *cough* Grey’s Anatomy *cough* *cough*. You simply need to remember that the whole team’s a family and that some of them have a family outside of the team too. It is also really fun to try to discover the killer alongside them. It’s just like reading a whodunit type of book, but in 45 minutes!

3-The emotions

Now, I know what most of you might think: “She’s just a crybaby!” and you’re not wrong, but if I can cry watching Criminal Minds so can you! I honestly cry at least once a week, but I also laugh along with the characters and sometimes I even jump. I’ve become so invested in their lives that I feel like I’m on the field with them, analyzing the analysts.

I started rewatching Criminal Minds as a background sound for my homework and studies because it allows you to do so, and ever since, I’ve just been watching a few episodes a day. It’s definitely become an important part of my self-care routine!

Maude St-Pierre

U Ottawa '25

Maude is a third-year Second Language Teaching student. She always complains that she's lacking money, but is always willing to spend it on tattoos or concerts! If she's not at a concert venue, you can find her buried deep in the most recent murder mystery book trending on booktok.