Some Fun Romance Films to Watch This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Whether you’re single or in a relationship this Valentine’s Day, there’s never a bad time to watch some good romance films. Not all the films on this list are considered romcoms, but sometimes it is nice to watch more realistic love stories during this holiday.

When harry met sally
When Harry Met Sally
Castle Rock Entertainment

This is personally my favourite rom-com. There is something so special about a friends-to-lovers plot that takes place over many years. And even though it this movie is over 30 years old, it stays relevant and enjoyable. It tells the story of Harry (Billy Cristal) and Sally (Meg Ryan), who meet when she drives them to New York together after college, and their haphazard meetings.

How to lose a guy in 10 days
How to Lose a Guy in 10 days Kate Hudson Matthew McConaughey
Paramount Pictures

This movie, which has recently gone viral on TikTok, tells the story of Andie (Kate Hudson) and Ben (Matthew McConaughey), who have opposing tasks. Andie wants to write an article for her magazine where she details how she was able to have a guy dump her in ten days, while Ben makes a bet that he could get a girl to fall in love with him in that time. The movie is very light-hearted and super enjoyable.

Love, Rosie

Another film that spans many years, this film surrounds two best friends, Alex (Sam Claflin) and Rosie (Lily Collins) and their love story. It’s a very cute movie that will be sure to give you butterflies as you watch it. If you are a sucker for the friends-to-lovers trope, you should definitely check out this film!

Dirty dancing
Dirty Dancing
Great American Films Limited Partnership

This movie is a romance movie but still has many exciting plotlines. It tells the story of Baby (Jennifer Grey), a high school graduate who has come to a vacation resort with her family. Not only is this a classic, but it also has great music, great romance, and great dancing!

The Proposal

This comedy stars Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock as a businesswoman about to be deported to Canada who has convinced her employee (Reynolds) to pretend to be her husband. It’s a very funny movie that is also very sweet and romantic and perfect for Valentine’s Day!

about time

This film tells the story of Tim (Domhnall Gleeson), who discovers that he has the ability to time travel and decides to use it to improve his love life. It also stars Rachel McAdams, and it’s a charming film.

Brooklyn

This coming-of-age film centres around Eilis (Saoirse Ronan), a young Irish woman who decides to go live in Brooklyn in the 1950s. It’s a beautiful film that even garnered Saoirse Ronan’s second Academy Award nomination.

La La land

If you like musicals and romance, you need to watch this movie. It centres around Mia (Emma Stone) and Sebastian (Ryan Gosling), aspiring artists in Hollywood. It’s a beautiful film with a beautiful score that will get you feeling something.

There are so many great romantic films, and these are just some of my favourites. They each have different vibes, so whatever you’re feeling this Valentine’s Day, there is sure to be something out there for you to watch!

Hi there! My name is Natasha and I am a second-year English student!