Style > Beauty

The Best Ingredients for Homemade Face Masks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Skincare is an important part of self-care, and more and more people are developing personal skincare routines that work for them — many of which feature face masks. However, as many of us know, store bought-face masks can be quite expensive. Here, to solve this problem, are three of the most popular DIY face mask ingredients, all of which can be found in your kitchen. These ingredients will not only leave your skin feeling healthier; they’ll also save you some money!

Remember to test each ingredient on a small patch of skin on the face before applying a full face mask. This will detect any sensitivity you might have to the ingredient and prevent unwanted reactions.

1. Honey

So, honey! Yes, it’s delicious, but did you know that it’s also very good for your skin? Face masks made with raw honey may aid in the management of acne and blemishes by balancing bacteria found on skin. This common household ingredient also helps to speed up the body’s healing process, which makes it an excellent antidote to inflammation and pimples. Don’t be tempted to play with the pimple, though! Leave the honey on your skin, and see if it helps. Some good face mask with this include just honey, honey with lemon, and honey with cinnamon.

2. Yogurt

Now, we all know that yogurt is very versatile, but lesser-known are its benefits for the skin. Plain yogurt contains lactic acid which helps to prevent wrinkles by tightening your pores. If you want to look younger as you age, then it’s better to start sooner rather than later. Yogurt is also an excellent exfoliator that, with regular application, can transform your skin from dull and dry to glowing and soft. Remember to use plain yogurt, though — not the flavored ones!

3. Turmeric

Turmeric originated in South Africa and is very useful in acne prevention and management. This spice has anti-inflammatory properties that make it really good for scars as well. Turmeric is also an antioxidant that reduces the likelihood of future breakouts. So, even if you don’t have acne right now, a turmeric face mask can still benefit your skin. Mix this with yogurt and lemon, and then apply.

As with most skincare practices, regular use is needed to reap the benefits of masking with these indgredients. Incorporate one or all of them into your skincare routine, and with consistent use, you’ll notice the difference!

Rimshah Abid

U Ottawa '23

A biomedical sciences student who has a passion for writing, science, and art. Hobbies include soccer, bullet journalling, and painting.