Big 3 Astrology?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Big 3 Astrology?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

The Best — and Worst — Times to Get Your Hair Done, According to Astrology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Planning your next trip to the salon? Astrology is here to help. 

In the same way that they affect health, relationships, and technology (Mercury retrograde, I’m looking at you), the ~cosmos~ also have the ability to influence beauty. If that scares you, dw. It’s actually relatively simple to work with the stars to increase your odds of getting a haircut you like. Keep in mind, though, that these rules aren’t binding (nothing about astrology is that straightforward). Consider them more like guidelines that exist to help you achieve *hair toss* superior results. And now, without further a-’do (sorry, had to) here’s what astrology has to say about when you should get your hair cut and coloured.

The best days to visit the salon: February 16; June 7; and August 29, 2022
The worst days to visit the salon: April 30; June 28; and October 25, 2022

Tip #1

Don’t get your hair done during the New Moon.

The New Moon makes you a little more sensitive to… well… everything. This makes it the perfect time to reflect on your current hairstyle and what you might want next — and a less perfect time to actually visit the salon. Since the New Moon is characterised by low energy and restoration, your hair (and your body in general) tends to crave replenishment and care during this time, as opposed to elimination or change. 

If you want your hair to grow faster, you should also avoid getting it cut when the Moon is waning (getting smaller). If you want your hair to grow more slowly, you should avoid getting it cut when the Moon is waxing (getting bigger). This is because of the Moon’s gravitational pull on the body. 

Do get your hair done during the Full Moon.

The Full Moon generates creative energy, inspiration, abundance, beauty, and strength — aka all of the factors that contribute to a really good hair day. The one thing you shouldn’t do during a Full Moon, however, is make an impulsive decision. The emotional intensity brought on by a Full Moon can cloud your judgement and lead to a hairstyle that’s beautiful… but not quite you. But! As long as you’ve planned it out ahead of time, you’ll likely be dazzled by the results. 

The Waxing Moon is another great time for a haircut if you want your hair to grow faster, as is the Waning Moon if you want it to grow more slowly. The Waxing Moon is also said to increase the longevity of colour and highlights.

Tip #2

Don’t get your hair done when the Moon is in Pisces, Cancer, or Scorpio.

With the Moon in water signs Pisces and Cancer, external influences tend to hit a little harder. Enter: increased physical and emotional vulnerability (not good things when you’re trying to promote the health of your hair or make a major change).

Meanwhile, Moon in Scorpio is the exact opposite… but, like, not in a good way. Generally, impulses acted upon under a Scorpio Moon don’t turn out well, no matter how infallible they may seem at the time. Scorpio energy also tends to make you hold onto things, making a subpar cut or colour more difficult to correct afterward.

Do get your hair done when the Moon is in Leo, Virgo, or Libra.

The Leo Moon supports accurate evaluations and confident decision making, as well as the straightforward communication of desire. Under the Leo Moon, you’re also more able to draw upon your innate beauty and charm.

Virgo, on the other hand, is less indulgent than Leo but more practical and precise. When the Moon is in Virgo, higher levels of imagination and clarity are available to you, and your ideas are also more easily channelled into action. Moon in Virgo allows you to process the senses through the mind.

The Libra Moon offers a happy middle between the Leo Moon and the Virgo Moon: outwardly charming, yet creative and intellectual. When the Moon is in Libra, your focus is directed toward social connection, aesthetics, and grace; and you have a finer appreciation for beauty.

To find out what phase and sign the Moon is in, download My Moon Phase from the app store.

Tip #3

Don’t get your hair done when Venus is in retrograde.

This one is crucial. Since Venus rules all things aesthetics (i.e. beauty, art, charm, good taste… you get the picture), as well as feelings, social connection, luxury, money, and pleasure, Venus retrograde can cause disruption and confusion in all of these areas. Bottom line: this is a very bad time to drastically alter your appearance. Luckily, you won’t have to worry about Venus retrograde again until mid-2023.

Do get your hair done when Venus is direct (aka the opposite of retrograde). 

When Venus is direct, beauty is just… easier. Despite a certain degree of variability due to transits (the planets’ movement in relation to the signs and to each other), this is a much better time to get your hair done than when Venus is in retrograde. Bonus points if you pick a time when Venus is in Taurus, Leo, or Libra — these signs all enhance Venus’s appearance-enhancing qualities.

Tip #4

Don’t get your hair done during an eclipse.

Eclipses often trigger sudden and unexpected change, and also tend to mark beginnings and endings that you have little to no control over. All this, as you can imagine, doesn’t pair well with significant changes to appearance. And, since eclipse energy is so powerful, this tip overrides all of the other ones.

Do get your hair done when there isn’t an eclipse.

Since there are typically only four eclipses per year, this should be pretty easy to achieve.

Ultimately, while I 100% support the adoption of astrology into your hair care ritual, I want to point out that it’s also completely valid not to. While astrology can offer thematic insight into timing and probabilities, it also requires interpretation, which means that it is never exact. But hopefully, this will get your head (and your hair!) in the right place, even if all it does is inspire faith.

Emily wrote and edited for Her Campus and Her Campus at uOttawa from 2020–2022.