kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Tackle Boredom Productively

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Whenever there is nothing else to do, people normally just revert to their cellphone or TV however, have you ever thought about using your leisure time for something more? Your free time has that potential into going towards something that will make your life better!  

1. Go outside and take notes

Have you heard of being a flaneur? It’s the fun art of being a secret observer. When was the last time you went outside just for the sake of going outside? Try strolling around town and finding the new in a familiar location. Maybe this activity will help you discover a new passion.

2. Write a list of goals and ways to achieve them

Find the reasons for why you’re bored. Boredom is a human emotion that has the potential for new innovation. Remember, Benjamin Franklin was probably bored when he discovered electricity!  Keeping a list of goals could help you visualize your future and keep you mindful of them. Making a dream board and posting it on your wall is a good motivator!

3. Exercise

It is proven that exercise improves brain and physical health so why not try doing it. There are plenty of ways to be active (see the article how to do cardio without running).  You could try engaging in sports with friends or family. That way you are mindful of both your mental and physical health.   

4. Read a life changing book

Lower down your stress levels and engage in some leisure reading. Try finding some non-fiction books that bring out a new aspect of life that you have never seen before. I personally like reading ethnographic literature because they bring out new and detailed aspects of places in the world.

5. Work on a skill/ talent that you never thought that you could have

Have you ever tried Ariel Silk dancing, or playing the Ukele? Try opening up your talent palette and engage in activities that you never thought you would.  You could try more common talents such as perfecting your Mariah Carey voice, or perfecting your replica of Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh.

Sometimes we have those days where we feel limited in our capabilities and just revert to other entertainment factors to help us forget however; we need to fight this feeling of escapism and challenges our capabilities.  

Sanjana Anwar

U Ottawa '21

Sanjana Anwar is in the joint-honours program of sociology and anthropology at the University of Ottawa. She is passionate about anything artistic (music, poetry, paintings) and has won awards relating to sketching from the 'House of Commons'. She hopes to share her experiences, knowledge, and thoughts with 'Her Campus' during her University chapters of life.
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.