Supporting The Local Music Scene: 10 Of Ottawa’s Up & Coming Artists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Every artist starts somewhere; for some artists, that somewhere is right here in Ottawa. As a self-proclaimed music addict, I’ve been challenging myself to discover the hidden treasures of the national capital by attending live shows as often as possible. Throughout the past academic year, I’ve had the chance to see many talented people perform, including most of the artists featured in this article. Since I strongly believe in sharing the talent I discover with those around me, here are some upcoming Ottawa artists you should consider giving a listen (in no particular order).

1. Hannah Vig

Hannah Vig is a queer artist heading into her third year as an English major at the University of Ottawa. Their songwriting is reminiscent of Taylor Swift’s vulnerability and honesty. Hannah sings about topics like romance and friendship, which makes their music refreshingly relatable. If you’re a fan of indie rock music that reminds you of growing pains, self-discovery, and memories, you can stream her song “clean break” on any streaming platform. You can also see them perform on June 5th at LIVE! on Elgin alongside Sufyan, Adam Blasl, and Leeny Jones. Follow their Instagram @hannahvig_ for updates on new releases and shows.

2. Noise Hotel

Composed of three Carleton students, Noise Hotel has been quite a hit amongst the student population at both Carleton and uOttawa. The members of the band include history student Eric Montpool (singer, songwriter, guitarist), psychology student Christian Strong (bass), and journalism student Boshko Maric (drums). I’ve been lucky enough to see the alternative rock three-piece perform five times now. The group’s songs are energetic and have an old-timey sound that reminds me of Arctic Monkeys and The Strokes. You can find their music on any streaming platform, including their singles “Tea For One”, “Caroline”, and their newest release “Diet Cigarette” which is the first single from their upcoming EP set to be released in September. The group is currently writing more material and planning new shows for Ottawa in the coming academic year. You can keep up with them by following their Instagram @noisehotel.

3. Backseat Dragon

If there’s one thing lead singer Carrie Blair, bassist Cole Hallman, and drummer Sean Lundy bring to the stage, it’s energy. Backseat Dragon is Ottawa’s self-proclaimed yuckiest three-piece band. The group evolved from a solo acoustic project into a full-blown band in April 2022, and since then have been a favourite amongst Ottawa’s population. I’ve witnessed Backseat Dragon performing live twice, and it was very clear to me that the energy from the crowd matched the energy coming from the band quite evenly. One thing that stood out to me was how much Carrie Blair’s incredibly powerful vocals really reminded me of Hayley Williams. The band dabbles in the indie-emo sound and has been working on a full-length album set to release later this summer. The album will contain new songs that avid listeners may remember hearing at some shows. Their latest release “Sudoku” is available on all streaming platforms, accompanied by many other songs you should check out. You can also catch the three at their next show on June 10th for Pique’s summer festival at Saw Gallery. You can find them on Instagram under the username @backseat_dragon.

4. Zeelle

Zahra Ladha, or known professionally as zeelle, is a queer artist who’s heading into their fourth year as a forensic psychology major with a minor in neuroscience at Carleton University. She’s been playing piano since she was 4, writing music since she was 10, and performing live since she was 13. Hailing from Edmonton, they started taking music more seriously after moving away from home. Zeelle writes songs about personal experiences that speak to the heart. They bring a sincere and playful feel to her music that reminds me of Sabrina Carpenter. Her single “ginger & lemon” is currently out on Spotify, and you can watch out for a possible new song being released in August as well as many shows in the fall. You can find them on Instagram under the username @zeellemusic.

5. Out By Lucy

If you like bands that can make songs about a bird emotional and enticing, the four-piece Out by Lucy is just for you. The band is composed of lead singer and guitarist Harrison Mees, a history major at uOttawa; guitarist Julian Moreland, a former biomed student at uOttawa; bassist Gabriel Comba, an English major at Carleton University; and drummer Sam Moreland, a Carleton employee. Out by Lucy has been touring Ottawa since March with more shows to come in September. With vocals similar to Del Water Gap and Christian Leave, Out by Lucy also brings more hard-hitting songs that branch out from the indie genre, making them fall in a nice middle between indie and rock. Their single “Prestone & Coca Colas” can all be found on any streaming platform. You can find them on Instagram under the username @outbylucy.

6. Dart Trees

Dart Trees is composed of frontman Nick Baker, a Carleton student and self-proclaimed golden boy, Hunter Vanderlaan on bass, Nik Skilton on the guitar, and Sam Rymill on the drums. With a similar sound to The Backseat Lovers and The Front Bottoms, Dart Trees’ songs feel like they should be in the background of an indie movie where the characters rebel against their parents and run away. If you’re a big fan of “Kilby Girl”, give “bong & mcquade” on their EP Consider Two Beers a listen. They have multiple songs available on their Spotify if ever you want to go take a walk and pretend to be an A24 protagonist for a few hours. You can catch them at Dominion’s Tavern on July 24th alongside Your Arms Are My Cocoon and Foxtails. You can find them on Instagram under the username @dart_trees.

7. Julzzz

Julia Mitre, or known professionally as julzzz, is a psychology major at the University of Ottawa hailing all the way from Brazil. While born in Brazil, they were raised in a small town in the north of Peru called Piura from the ages of seven to seventeen. They believe it shaped who they are today and have always kept in touch with their Brazilian roots since their entire family is Brazilian. Having this fusion of cultures that were so similar yet so different significantly broadened their perspective about the world, which can be reflected in their music. Julzzz plays with different genres and adds classic Latin sounds to their music, giving it a vulnerability and authenticity that draws you in. Their new single “1212” can be found on any streaming platform. You can find them on Instagram under the username @juliamitre_.

8. School House

It really only takes three uOttawa alumni and an old school house to create an indie trio that you should totally check out. The four-piece claim that the house they moved into, which was later discovered to be an old school house, was the muse for their songs. School House brings the same lighthearted feel brought to you by alternative folk bands such as Seafret and The Lumineers, as well as warm beats and vocals à la Jack Johnson to their songs. Their five singles currently available on streaming platforms will be compiled into their debut album, which will be released on June 9th. School House is the perfect band to listen to while watching the sunset during the summer. Their single “Runaways” reminds me of “Atlantis” by Seafret. Check out their release show at the Rainbow Bistro on June 9th. You can find them on Instagram under the username @schoolhouseband.

9. Root Cause

Combine Liam Hall on vocals and guitar, Josh Bezanson on the guitar, Graeme Smith on drums, and Alex Bégin on the bass, and you have Root Cause. This alternative rock four-piece has sounds similar to bands such as Surf Curse and Calpurnia, to name a few. Root Cause’s Liam and Alex are students at Algonquin College while guitarist Josh is a student at uOttawa. Drummer Graeme currently works in construction as a site evaluator. The band is hoping to release an EP soon. You can find them on Instagram under the username @rootcausetheband.

10. Just Fine

Just Fine members Celine Stanton, Ronnie Abou-Abssi, Ted Zeisner, and Adam bring you Dolores O’Riordan-esque vocals with beats reminiscent of The Cranberries, allowing for sweet but punchy guitar riffs and melodies that lull you into a feeling of teenage angst and melancholy. The four-piece just released their song “Blue Eyes”, which I would compare to that song that plays in a teen movie when the main character dances in their room. The songs featured on their EP Sink or Swim brings a similar soft sound reminiscent of songs like “Nutshell” by Alice in Chains. Just Fine somehow seems to encompass the complicated nuances of teenage nostalgia in a modern sound with touches of 90’s alternative rock influences, leaving for a bittersweet yet sentimental listening experience. They will be performing alongside Gulfer, Valleyheart, and Guest Room Status on June 17th at the Rainbow Bistro. You can find them on Instagram under the username @justfineband.

The beauty of music is that there’s something for everyone out there. These artists are ten out of the many wonderful upcoming artists in the city. I hope you check out these listed above and maybe stumble across other fellow local artists not mentioned in the process!

19 years old uottawa communication student writer