Bread On Rack
Bread On Rack
Alex Frank / Spoon

Supporting Local: 4 Ottawa Eats to Try ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

With classes at uOttawa being held online this year, my professors (and I’m sure many of yours) have been setting up icebreaker activities to help us get to know each other better. One of my professors asked us to share fun facts about ourselves, like our favourite places to eat in Ottawa.

After reading through many of my classmate’s responses I’ve compiled a list of some of their favourite (and my favourite) places to eat in Ottawa! 

Fleur Tea House

First up is the Fleur Tea House. This place is a personal favourite. My roommate introduced it to me last year, and I have not stopped going there ever since. It’s located at Somerset and Russell Ave. in Sandy Hill and stays open until 2 am. This is the perfect place to sit down and enjoy an entire pot of tea, or Uber Eats a burger from. They literallyhave it all. My favourite thing to do is stop in and grab one of their raspberry smoothies (which are to die for) and a BLT on my way to my late night classes. Not to mention the owner is super kind, and often sends me a free dessert in my Uber Eats orders (mostly because of how often I order and the sheer quantity of it all!) 12/10 would recommend! 

The Scone Witch

More than one of my classmates recommended The Scone Witch, and it’s on my list! They have two locations, one on Elgin Street in downtown, and the other on Beechwood Ave in New Edinburgh. They have nearly a dozen flavours of scones, ranging from sweet to savory. They also offer sandwiches, salads, and frozen scones that you can take home to bake! The Scone Witch also offers delivery of their scones and different jams across the Ottawa area. Visit their website to check out their menu and see their baking instructions for frozen scones! I will 100% be heading to the Scone Witch in the near future. 

Carmelito

This is another cafe-style eatery that was recommended. It’s an Italian bakery located on Preston Street in the heart of Ottawa’s Little Italy. Their most highly recommended menu item is their canolli, but all their desserts look delicious! Not only do they offer dozens of Italian treats – they also serve breakfast, salads, soups, and high tea. On top of this, Carmelito makes custom cakes, caters events and has over 20 different biscotti flavours (including dairy and gluten free options!)

Green Rebel

This is another place I’ve never been too but definitely want to try! Green Rebel has multiple locations in Ottawa, with one on Albert Street, Elgin, and Bank. They offer a wide range of different salad boxes, Buddha boxes, smoothies, sandwiches and wraps. They cater, and they also offer a grocery service with fresh produce delivery (perfect for those days when we don’t feel like making a grocery run!) You can order from their website, either individual fresh produce items, fresh bread, or fruit and veggie bundles. Personally, I find that super cool and I’m 100% going to be heading to one of their locations to try out one of their smoothies and sandwiches! 

These are just a few of many amazing places to eat in Ottawa, all which I recommend you try, and many which I am excited to try myself! 

Maddie is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa majoring in History. She is a major fan of Friends, and The Office and is a geek for all things history. Maddie loves food, relaxing, and her cat.
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!