timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Summer in the City (Ottawa Remix)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We know Ottawa has a reputation for being the most boring city in Canada (and possibly the world), but that’s not really true. The capital city may not be as big or busy as Toronto and Montreal, but it definitely has its own charm. Trust us. We’re two city girls from the 6ix and we’ve come to enjoy the laidback city vibes Ottawa has to offer. So, whether you’re starting your first co-op term or simply spending your summer in our lovely capital, here are a few activities to keep you amused this summer.

1. Museums and Art Galleries

If you didn’t have a chance to visit the various museums and art galleries during the school year, you have all the time in the world to do it now. Lucky you! There are so many options including the National Gallery of Canada, the Canadian Museum of History, the Canadian Museum of Nature, and the Canadian War Museum.

Almost all the museums offer free admission between 5pm – 8pm on Thursday nights. If you can’t go then, student admission is anywhere between $10 and $12. It will cost extra for special exhibitions.

2. Aquatic Adventures

Even though Ottawa is known for its unforgiving winter weather, we still manage to have a few hot summer days in July and August. When that happens, spending the day near the water is always a good idea. Rent a kayak or canoe from Dow’s Lake and paddle your way up to the Back Falls and Mooney’s Bay. The Dragon Boat Festival starts June 23rd and even hosts a ton of concerts from artists like Mother Mother and A Tribe Called Red. Keep the excitement going at Calypso Waterpark the largest theme water park in Canada. With 35 water slides to choose from, you’ll be able to stay cool and have fun while doing it.

3. Government Goings-on

Sometimes it’s nice to be a tourist in your own city and Ottawa’s downtown core is basically one huge tour of government monuments and buildings. You can take a guided tour of Parliament Hill or just walk around on your own. From the end of June until the end of the summer you can see the Changing of the Guard every morning. There’s also a Sound and Light Show every night between July 9th to September 10th. If you want to check out some of the other government buildings there is a special event between June 4th and 5th called Doors Open Ottawa. It’s the perfect opportunity to visit some of the most beautiful buildings in Ottawa including embassy, various departments, museums, and heritage sites.

4. Victoria Island

One of Ottawa’s hidden gems, Victoria Island, offers some of the best views of both the Hill and Gatineau both during the day and night. It’s the perfect spot to get in touch with our First Nations history. The village also hosts an Aboriginal cafe and trading post that offers traditional Aboriginal meals and fine arts and crafts.

5. Music Festivals

There are at least half a dozen music festivals every summer in Ottawa. Starting as early as June, you can see various jazz musicians at the TD Ottawa Jazz Festival from June 22nd – July 3rd. Another popular event is Bluesfest, which takes place between July 7th and 17th. Alessia Cara, City and Colour, Future, Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Lumineers are just a few of the artists performing. If you’re into classic music, the International Chamber Music Festival is happening from July 21st – August 3rd.

6. Tulip Festival

The month of May is probably the most beautiful time in the capital city and it’s largely due to the thousands and thousands of tulips growing in Ottawa. Seriously, it will blow your mind. There are various events throughout the month to celebrate and even fireworks on the weekend at Dow’s Lake. Check out the website for more information.

7. Theatre and Dance

Ottawa’s arts scene is pretty awesome. There are so many live performance throughout the year and now you’ll have time to actually enjoy it. The National Arts Centre has tons of performances including dance, theatre, and music. In fact, from June 4th to 11th there’s a summer Dance Festival celebrating contemporary dance. The best tip we can offer you is to take advantage of the live rush ticket sales at the NAC. If you go the day of the performance you can get tickets for $15 with a valid student ID. For the win!
Toward the end of June, Ottawa has its own block party called, Latin Sparks. It’s a huge Latin festival on Sparks street with food, dance, and good times. There are no official dates yet this year so be sure to look out for a Facebook event to pop up on social media.
Fringe Festival takes place between June 15 to 26th. If you’d like to support Ottawa’s local artists and performers, this is a great way to do it!  Last but not least, from July 28th – August 1st, you can attend Ottawa’s Busker Festival!

8. Gatineau Park

Spend the day getting in touch with your outdoorsy side. With 35 000 hectares of unspoiled land, Gatineau Park is great all year long especially during the summer months. There are six public beaches in the park including one just for camping. Biking, hiking and canoeing are some other popular activities, just remember your bug spray!

9. Shopping

Ottawa is by no means the shopping capital of Canada but you can still shop till you drop over the summer. There are several malls in Ottawa, but there are also some hidden treasures. Byward Market has a collection of small boutiques that are worth checking out. The Winners on Sparks street is small but definitely underrated. Lansdowne Park and Glebe are other places to wander through. The Value Village off Cyrville Road usually has some good finds too. Tanger Outlets in Kanata can also be a nice shopping trip if you’re up for the adventure.

10. Food Festivals and Farmers’ Markets

If you’re looking to improve your cooking skills this summer or just want to get your hands on some fresh produce, Ottawa has a variety of food markets to choose from. The Lansdowne Park Farmer’s Market opens on May 1st from 9am to 5pm to on Sundays. Sparks Street’s market happens on Thursdays and Fridays from 10am to 5pm. Byward Market is the last and obvious choice. From 7am to 5:30pm there are vendors all over the market selling fruits, vegetable, baked goods, and other produce. Not only will you getting some delicious eats, you’ll also be supporting local businesses!
If you’d rather not cook, feel free to pig out at the various food festivals Ottawa hosts every year. Ottawa Ribfest happens from June 22nd to the 26th. If you’re a vegetarian, don’t worry! Ottawa will host the seventh annual Veg Fest on June 4th and 5th. Last but not least, there is an Oyster Festival on June 26th for anyone who likes seafood. Also there’s a Sparks Street Poutine Festival from April 28 to May 1st and another Poutine Festival at City Hall from May 5th to May 8th. What can we say? Ottawa loves its poutine.

11. Sound of Light

If you happen to be in Gatineau one evening during the month of August you should check out the Sound of Light at the Canadian Museum of History. Every night, between August 6th and 20th, there will be an awesome display of lights and fireworks. Check out the site for ticket information.

12. Sporty Summer Activities

If you’re into sports there are a few events during the summer you may want to mark on your calendars. On June 7th there is an International Women’s Soccer Game at TD Place in Kanata. If you’re a soccer fanatic you should definitely check it out. For anyone who loves participating or watching volleyball there is a charity tournament on July 16th at Mooney’s Bay Beach. If you want to participate in the H.O.P.E Volleyball Summerfest, register anytime between April 29th and May 27th. Last but not least, the Ottawa Redblacks will be playing throughout July and August if you’d like to catch a game.

13. Cheap Tuesday Movies

Every summer a bunch of new movies come out and while we’d love to see them on the opening weekend, we also try to save a few bucks. Cheap Tuesdays is a nice option, because tickets are a bit cheaper. Depending on where you go tickets will be $7 to $9. One word of caution, go early to get good seats, especially if you’re going with more than two friends.

14. Franco Ontarien Festival

For all the Francophones, the annual Franco Ontarien Festival will take place between June 16- 18th this summer at Major’s Hill Park. If you’re in the mood for some good music en français, this is an event worth attending.

15. Pride Week

From August 15th to the 21st, Ottawa has a week-long celebration of its own LGBTQ community and it’s bound to be amazing. Whether you want to walk in the parade or attend the various events through the city, there are a dozen different ways to get involved. Oh, and you can volunteer too! Check the website for more information.

16. Canada Day

This one is obvious, but we thought it was worth mentioning. This is probably the biggest event of the year in Ottawa. Seriously, there’s an official twitter account. Everyone from children to government employees travels to Parliament Hill and Major’s Hill Park for the most epic all-day event in the city. There are concerts, street music, fireworks, and tons of food. All you have to do is wear your best red and white outfit and join in. Canada Day in Ottawa is not to be missed.

17. Never Drop That Alcohol

From morning mimosas to last-call drinks, there are a few places and events worth mentioning. First things first: Milestones Mimosas! If you haven’t had brunch at Milestones the mimosas alone are reason enough to visit. Patio drinking is a great idea for those warm summer days. Byward Market alone has over a dozen lovely patios that are perfect for an afternoon drink. Oh, and we should mention that Ottawa does have its own Craft Beer Festival from August 26th to 28th.

18. Good Eats

There’s no shortage of great restaurants in Ottawa and probably the reason we never lost the freshman 15. Either way, these great eats are totally worth it and definitely reinforce that beloved quote: #FriesBeforeGuys!

A couple of our favourites include The Works in the Glebe, El Furniture Warehouse in the Market (all food is $5), El Camino where you can find some of the best tacos in town, Vittoria Trattoria if you’re in the mood for some authentic Italian food and great wine. Sidedoor and Chez Lucien not only offer some great food but the cutest date spots Ottawa has to offer!

We should also point out that two-thirds of the student population leaves the city which is a really nice change. Just think of how empty and peaceful campus is. Yeah, it’s perfection. Enjoy it!

Whether you’re working or in school (or both if you so choose), Ottawa has tons of things to do when you have free time. Summer in the city will only be boring if you are.

Resources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

Kaysey graduated from the University of Ottawa with a double major in English and Sociology and is currently studying Professional Writing and Communications at Humber College. She hails from the fabulous city of Toronto and can quote Disney like it's her job. Some of her favourite things to do are reading, writing, and aimlessly surfing the internet for inspiration. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram, @kaysey_dee,  or check out her blog: Portrait of a Fashionista