A Suggestion for the General Assemblies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

On November 17, 2014 the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa held its first General Assembly.  After this meeting one stunningly obvious fact became apparent. The SFUO must adopt online voting in order to ensure the possibility of widespread participation.

We as a student body are faced with a variety of tasks and duties that require us to maintain strict schedules. Due to this, many of us are unable to alter our timetables in order to attend multi-hour meetings. We are dedicated to our studies and cannot disregard class or other responsibilities. This, however, does not mean that we are uninterested in student politics. It simply means that we require different methods of participation.

I am well aware that there are quorums to be met at these meetings. I am also aware that it is preferable to have voters physically present to ensure clarity. However, I find it completely unacceptable that a person’s inability to be present means that they are denied their union rights.  

I commend the SFUO and their desire to personally involve students. However, I am extremely disappointed that our union has decided that this must be done only within the strict confinements they have designed. 

Calls were made for online voting long before the first meeting was held. These went unanswered or denied. In this day and age of technology it seems completely unreasonable that an online platform could not have been created. If students can create an online voting platform in a matter of minutes, why could the SFUO not do the same in the months that have passed between the referendum and now?

The security for ensuring that only students vote already exists. We all have student numbers and passwords.  It would be as simple as setting up a server that could handle the demand.

The student body has asked for something manageable and reasonable. It’s time the SFUO listened. 

Cover Photo

Sarah Kirby is a fourth year Joint Honours BA History and Political Science student at the University of Ottawa. Born and raised in Southwestern Ontario, Sarah now is proud to call Ottawa home. Sarah is also proud to be the Editor of News for the 2014-2015 Her Campus UOttawa Team.