This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We at Her Campus at U Ottawa respectfully acknowledge that we create, write and operate on the traditional and unceded territory of the Anishinaabeg Algonquin Nation whose ancestral and historic ties to the land continue to this day.

Calling all Jane Austen fans, sapphic lovers, and oat milk devotees! It’s cottagecore’s turn on HC at U Ottawa’s Style Dictionary series.

If you’ve been MIA for the past two years and are still too proud to admit you have a TikTok account, you may have missed the rise of cottagecore! Cottagecore has been taking over the fashion world with celebs like Kendall Jenner and Millie Bobby Brown subscribing to the look. But don’t worry, I’m here to help you answer the question: 

What exactly is “Cottagecore”? 

The Breakdown: Cottage (small rural house) + Core (referring to a genre of style) = Small House Style

Cottagecore is an online social media and fashion community that promotes the celebration of often overlooked simplicities of life. It combines ethereal naturalism, self-sufficiency, living off the land, and low tech into its aesthetic. Think Pride and Prejudice meets forest witch meets strawberry-mushroom-frog meets that one scene from Beauty in the Beast where Belle sings about adventure while plucking dandelions.

Cottagecore content creators are most known for showing off their farm fresh eggs and gorgeous homemade sourdoughs, and snuggling their familiars. The allure of cottagecore has been promoted with shows like “Bridgerton” modernizing “peasant-dress” and content creators promoting an inclusive and safe space for cottagecore followers and enjoyers. Self-sufficient cottage dwellers are ideal, and freedom, subversive gender roles, and anti-capitalist ideologies flourish within the cottagecore. So boys not being allowed to wear skirts, in Theoden’s words “[has] no power here!”.

Ok, We’re in. How do we rock this look?

My friends, I am so glad you asked. Here are 10 pieces to build the perfect cottagecore wardrobe:

maxi dresses

Remember the viral Strawberry Dress? Why stray from a classic that started the movement? Buy similar and more affordable versions here.

puffy sleeves

No matter the fabric, a puffed sleeve elevates any look while staying true to the romantic theme of cottagecore. Opt for a shorter puff sleeve for casual looks and longer flowy puff sleeves for an evening princess vibe.

embroidered everything

Cottagecore is a sucker for the little details. Strawberry-patterned blouses, frog hats, and mushroom-embroidered tote bags are extremely popular examples. Personalization is limitless! One of my favs is this mushroom embroidered cardigan from ELFSHE.

corduroy pants

Practical pants (with pockets!), are a must when tending to your hobby farm or painting the next world-renowned landscape painting. Personally, I am obsessed with the coloured corduroy pants I keep seeing on my feed. Check them out!

corset tops

I see you, Bridgerton stans! This one’s for you. Corsets are not only great for achieving a princess-ballgown silhouette but are also great for posture! So, they’re perfect for cottagecore and cute, too. I found one on Amazon that’s decently priced!

crochet items

Crochet is making a fierce comeback from its death in the 2010s. Crochet hangers for plants, and crochet bracelets and bags are a great addition to the cottage core wardrobe. And best of all, you can easily make them yourself as a hobby!

suede bags and wicker baskets

Every cottage-dweller needs a practical yet fashionable way to carry their farm fresh eggs, book of poetry, and treat-yourself-bouquet! Why not do it in one of these adorable baskets?

nature accessories

Last but not least, nature accessories complete the look by tying in the natural aesthetic. Earrings, bracelets, necklaces, and socks patterned with your favourite flower or critter are a good place to start. Check out these adorable FERN EARRINGS on Etsy.

And with that my friends, I beseech you to go barefoot running through streams, picking berries, and learning how to play the harp in your new cottagecore-inspired fits.

Originally from Vancouver Island, Sophia is a transfer student in UOttawa's Honours English program. When she isn't writing, you can find her adventuring overseas, trying out new cafes, and taking her beloved pug Ponyo on scenic bike rides along the Ottawa river.