The Struggles Of Being A 101 Week Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Being a 101 Week guide has been one of the greatest experiences of our undergrad lives. We learnt leadership skills, social skills, we lost our voices during cheers, and taught ourselves a new way to check our attitude. In one week, guides learn what it truly means to survive off nothing but coffee and energy drinks; Redbull you beaut you. But, it is all worth it for the amount of great strangers you meet who soon become like family. Although being a guide has its ups, it most certainly has its downs. Here are the ten greatest struggles of being a Semaine/101 Week guide:

(1) When a 101er asks if they need to wear their 101 Week shirt to the event.

Unless told otherwise, always wear your 101 Week shirt to every event.

(2) When a 101er tries to sneak in alcohol to a dry event after specifically being told not to, and you have to dump it out.

We don’t want to be the bad guys, so don’t make us be the bad guys please.

(3) Passing around condoms like its money during social events because consent is sexy!

(4) Being extremely tired after an event and having to walk home an intoxicated 101er.

(5) When a 101er tries to hug you so you have to think of a respectful way to politely decline.

(6) Feeling like you need a shower after an event because… sweat.

(7) You develop a certain love for ice cold water.

(8) That surge of energy after having coffee and/or Redbull.

Coffee and Redbull? You mean my breakfast lunch and dinner.

(9) Having to have the most energy out of all the 101ers to keep them hyped up.

(10) The amount of cheers and dance routines we learn by heart.

A media addict, an activist, a music lover, a singer, and a nappy haired black woman. In the great words of the queen, "I sneezed on the beat, and the beat got sicker." Always believe in the greatness of yourself. Nothing, is impossible. Twitter: @annettesings01 Tumblr: annetteejiofor.tumblr.com Blog: HonestlyAnnette.wordpress.com
A lover for music, volunteering, traveling and meeting new people. I strive to learn new things and gain new experiences. Shoe addict, optimistic, outgoing, life is a masquerade ball! ~Live as if you were to die tomorrow, Learn as if you were to live forever -Gandhi~