Steal Her Style: Lupita Nyong’o

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

After less than a month into school, the cool autumn weather is already settling in and we couldn’t be happier. Collegiettes are quickly trading in their short shorts for leggings, tank tops for cardigans, and iced capps for pumpkin spiced lattes.

Over the last couple of weeks, the crème de la crème of fashion has hit the runways in New York, London, and Milan and that alone has fashionistas in a tizzy. The only way to welcome in the new season is to do one of our infamous fashion profiles, Steal Her Style. Each time we select one of favourite celebrities of the moment and recreate one of her fabulous looks with pieces under $150. The woman that’s been stealing our attention lately is Lupita Nyong’o.

Lupita Nyong’o is literally a queen. Since her breakout role as Patsey in the 2013 film, 12 Years a Slave, Lupita has been taking Hollywood by storm. Not only did she receive the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress as Patsey, she was also named The Most Beautiful Woman by People Magazine and Woman of the Year by Glamour. Talk about girl power!

Not to mention her incredible red carpet style:

Oh, and her street style which is also slaying:

And she’s still killing it in 2015 as stuns on the October cover of Vogue:

One of my favourite Lupita looks, after all the red carpet gowns of course, is actually from last year when she attended the 2014 Mui Mui fashion show in Paris. Her colourful but effortless look is the epitome of fall fashion and totally steal-worthy. See our fabulous tips and tricks below so you can Steal Her Style!

Start off with her structured white blouse, which has some beautiful and eye-catching embellishments. If you’re really into DIYs, Teen Vogue has an awesome tutorial.

Blouse with Embellished Collar $37 at ASOS.com

Next, Lupita layered a beautiful berry jacket over top. I swapped that out for a comfy, knit sweater in a burgundy or wine kind shade.

Marled Knit Sweater $28 at Forever21Cable Knit Sweater $30 at Forever21Zig Zag Pattern Jacket $34 at Forever21

As for the skirt, I have a couple options. Lupita’s skirt really plays with texture so I tried to copy that with the skirts I chose below.

Jacquard Knit Skirt $50 at H&MBeaded Chiffon Skirt $42 at Forever21Halogen Welt pocket pencil skirt $30 at Nordstrom

I absolutely love her handbag because it ties in the structure and texture we’ve seen in her other pieces. It’s simple, classy, and neutral.

Aldo Handbag $55 at Aldo AccessoriesForever21 Handbag $40 at Forever21

And lastly, the shoes. Lupita’s white heels really have a springtime feel but they also add a nice contrast with the darker berry colour on top. I’ve included a pair of white heels, but nude heels could also work.

Aldo High Heel $37 at AldoCall it Spring High Heel $50 at SpringForever21 Faux Suede Pump $40 at Forever21

And voilà! One beautiful outfit stolen by one beautiful celebrity.

Do you have a celebrity in mind whose style turns heads? Do you have a look you want to steal? Tweet us @HCuOttawa!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Kaysey graduated from the University of Ottawa with a double major in English and Sociology and is currently studying Professional Writing and Communications at Humber College. She hails from the fabulous city of Toronto and can quote Disney like it's her job. Some of her favourite things to do are reading, writing, and aimlessly surfing the internet for inspiration. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram, @kaysey_dee,  or check out her blog: Portrait of a Fashionista