This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

You’re a university student, so the inner battle to go out on a Friday night or stay inside in your pajamas watching movies with your roommates has definitely come up. There are clearly pros and cons to both kind of evenings. I’m going to outline the top four factors you should take into account before staying in or going out for the night.

1. Comfort

Staying in is a clear winner for comfort. I mean you could show up in your snuggie at the club if you want, but that risks the chance of someone spilling a drink on your insanely comfortable wearable blanket.

To go out, as a girl, you usually have to break out some high heels made to make your butt and calves look like cement, in tow with a tight outfit. Regardless of whether you claim to go casual at a club with jeans and a top, they’re still tight…

…and your Christmas onesie waiting in your closet at home isn’t.

2. Cost

This could very well be a toss up between the two because I know when I like to stay home I need to have snacks. I end up at metro or LCBO depending on whichever one I choose, so as a financially jilted university student, I can’t say I enjoy spending money on either of these activities without feeling like I’m wasting it.

There are ways around paying cover, like putting yourself on the guest list. There are ways around paying for drinks while in the club, like referring back to the comfort section where you’re wearing heels and tight clothes. I guess in some respects it all depends on how expensive the ice cream you want to buy is.

3. Company

It all comes down to whether or not you want a cuddle buddy or a fuck buddy for the night. If you want to meet cute boys, staying in offers that as well, you can go on Tinder and swipe until your thumbs hurt. This method even saves you from being groped by sweaty boys that you’d rather not have attracted the attention of, you get to be as selective or non-selective as you want.

Besides if you stay in with your roommates they can’t judge you for not going out, or get mad at you. They’ll be having a dance party with you in your living room, while eating whipped cream straight from the can.

4. Aftermath

I’d take a binge-watching-romcoms-while-eating-too-much-ice-cream hangover over a real one any day. If you stay in you don’t have to collapse on your bed covered in strangers’ dance sweat and smelling of tequila, realistically you could spend your whole night in, in your bed.

And the worst possible decision you could make while staying in would be letting your roommate watch Dance Moms. If you go out you run the risk of waking up with a regrettable Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook newsfeed.

So, it’s up to you collegiettes™. Do you want to brave the streets of downtown in small clothing, or cuddle up with your body pillows while sipping hot cocoa?

Picture Credits

Cover Picture, 1

I transferred to uOttawa in September of 2013 from the beautiful University of British Columbia. But don't let that introduction fool you, I'm from Nova Scotia.  I like dresses, I like the Toronto Raptors, I like Christmas, I like bread, I like online shopping, I like Mindy Kaling and I like penguins.