Shopping via Unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Shopping via Unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Cam Morin via Unsplash
Style

Staple Pieces for Cute Workwear Outfits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

My biggest piece of career advice for anyone in university is that if you want a good summer job that doesn’t involve the food service industry or retail, now is the time to start looking. Sure, it’s just January, but I once had an interview for a summer job in October. You can prep your resume, write your cover letter, contact your references and land an interview – but to me, the most exciting part is shopping for my future work outfits. 

Call me crazy if you want, but what gets me out the door in the morning on those summer mornings are my work outfits. I take great pride in what I wear to the office because iit sends a message. With my list of cute staple pieces to add to your work wardrobe, you’ll be feeling confident and ready for your work in no time.

The Lalastack Of Clothing
Her Campus Media

Paperbag Pants

These comfy bad boys will have you looking put together with virtually no effort. For a more casual look, wear with a clean t-shirt or turtleneck. Dress it up with a classic blouse or throw on a blazer.

Wrap Dresses

These are iffy but when they’re done right, you can pull off a business casual look. Wrap dresses were everywhere last summer and I predict they’ll be back again this year. Look for a wrap dress with a more high-cut top-half and longer skirt not too high above the knee for a casual spring or summer workday.

Bit Loafers

This may just be me, but the bit loafer look has been in for the past two years, but I sure hope it sticks. Nothing says comfort like a nice loafer. Flats are cool, but loafers are great for your coffee run down the block or for your commute back home. I love pairing these with a nice black pant and heading out the door.

The Classic White Blouse

This one is a given, but the possibilities are endless with just a plain white blouse. Add a colourful necklace, or a colourful bottom to give you that pop of colour or layer it under a sweater in the colder months. But be careful! Clumsy people such as myself can’t be trusted in a white blouse when drinking coffee.

The Cozy Cardigan

The Lalacoat Watch Brick Wall
Her Campus Media

On those chillier days, I like to bring a cardigan to work. Unlike a blazer, it’s a little more comfortable to wear all day and it gives you a more casual look for those days where you won’t be doing much in the office. It’s also great if you happen to be stuck next to the AC at work in the summer months and you’re freezing (I speak from experience).

Work Tote

Splurge on a nice leather tote bag, I swear. Managers expect students to roll up in backpacks, but a nice simple leather tote looks more professional and will follow you into your real job after graduation. Make sure it’s roomy enough for the essentials to get you through your day, and ideally get one with a zipper to avoid losing anything.

Low closed-toe heels in beige and black

In movies you see business women strutting through the office in these massive stilettos but not everyone is that gifted. The low heel will make sure you can last all day and make it home without having your feet kill you at the end of the night. Closed-toe is essential, no one wants to see your toes in a meeting. Now you can choose to get tan or black but I recommend both, simply because not all outfits go with black shoes.

One last tip–don’t be afraid to splurge. These items are staples and will follow you into your future jobs so don’t be afraid to pay more for a higher-quality item. Now that you’ve got the basics down, get out there and get ready for the hiring season. You’ve got this!

A fourth year Biopharmaceutical Science student who's open to trying just about anything. I'm passionate about science, equestrian sports, and being involved in my community.
Taylor is a 4th year student at the University of Ottawa studying Political Science and Philosophy. In addition to writing for Her Campus Taylor is the President of the University of Ottawa Equestrian Team, Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus uOttawa and the Vice President of the Ontario Collegiate Equestrian Association. Taylor spends her weekends competing with the team, and when she's not in class she can be found studying on campus. Taylor loves coffee, and tending to her plethora of plants.