This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

While most University of Ottawa students are finding ways to get to class by not stepping outside as much as possible, Sigma Chi fraternity is doing the complete opposite by having members live outside in the cold for 72 hours! I had the opportunity to interview one of the Sigma Chi brothers, Shane Brodie, to discover more about this annual event.

What is Homeless for the Homeless?

So Homeless for the Homeless is one of Sigma Chi’s big philanthropy events. What happens is we have a tent in front of Morriset Terrace and we spend 72 hours outside to raise money and awareness for those who are homeless, which is in conjunction with The Ottawa Mission.

Why did Sigma Chi decide to do this for the Ottawa Mission?

The Ottawa Mission does a lot of amazing things for the homeless and they don’t get the recognition for the work they do. It takes a lot on the Ottawa Mission’s part to help the homeless and have volunteers at their facility, so what we do is try our best to help them out.

This is the best way we can help them on our part; to freeze our butts off outside and try our best to also raise money at the same time!

Where did the idea to go homeless derive from?

I think because homelessness is a really big deal in Ottawa and not a lot of people understand it fully. Many people go on with their days not realizing or understanding that in the winter people are living outside, and spending nights outside in -40 degree weather suffering and trying really hard to live. We wanted to get in their shoes to go through what they go through to help them out.

How can others help?

Simply visiting us on Morriset Terrace and giving us food, donating, and maybe trying to volunteer through the Ottawa Mission. People who are interested in helping can also go to the Ottawa Mission’s website  and donate money. People can spread awareness through social media by trying to get others informed about the issue and to also spread the word about our event.

What is it like camping out in the cold Ottawa weather to raise money?

This is my first time doing it so I don’t exactly know how cold it is or how cold it can get but I am from Manitoba, so back home I have dealt with the cold weather so I’m kind of scared but I think it will be good. Speding time outside with people who are doing the same thing as you can also be helpful.

Another Sigma Chi Brother: I did it last year and it got pretty cold but people came by to give us coffee and to help us out and hang out with us so it wasn’t that bad.

How do you decide on who camps outside and who doesn’t?

What we do is during the day we have a schedule and see who has class and who doesn’t and whoever doesn’t have class just comes out and takes turns and then at night it’s whoever wants to do it. I will be sleeping outside for all three nights be cause I have chosen to, some brothers will choose to do two nights or one. It’s midterm season so everyone is trying to accommodate each other. We’re just working together- we always make sure there are at least two people out there at all times to really iron in that this is something we are all really dedicated to.

How did you prepare for an event like this ?

I don’t know if there is really any way to prepare for the cold but we made sure the tent was out and set up. We had planned and discussed the event for weeks to make sure everyone made a space in their schedule to time themselves efficiently to come out and help. We also have been informing all the sororities on campus to see if they can support us and we use social media to make others aware of what we’re doing. We just go ahead and try to survive the cold for 4 days!

How much have you raised in the past ? What is your goal for this year ?

Last year we raised $3,000 so this year we want to surpass that.

So there you have it! A true dedication by this wonderful fraternity to raise money for a great cause. Readers, if you like this initiative, feel free to share amongst your friends about this event or if you can, please consider donating to the cause! Every penny counts and it’s all in the name of charity! Be aware, be generous and donate.

dfff

A lover for music, volunteering, traveling and meeting new people. I strive to learn new things and gain new experiences. Shoe addict, optimistic, outgoing, life is a masquerade ball! ~Live as if you were to die tomorrow, Learn as if you were to live forever -Gandhi~