Showering at Night vs. Morning: Which Is the One for You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I absolutely hate waking up early. In fact, I practically have to drag my butt out of bed every single time my alarm goes off (well, only after I’ve hit snooze roughly 37 times, and my roomate yells through the walls to turn the alarm off). That being said, I do love the extra boost of energy a shower provides me with in the morning. However, showering at night allows me to gain those extra precious minutes of sleep every day. So, it all comes down to which one is better, showering at night or showering in the morning?

After some research, I found that whether it is best to shower at night or in the morning actually depends on the individual person. There are certain characteristics that a person possesses that determine the best time for him/her to shower.

When to shower at night:

1. You have dry skin
If you have dry skin, it is best to shower at night. This is because taking a hot shower in the morning may strip your skin of its necessary moisture.

2. You work out at night
Let’s face it, after a workout we’re pretty gross and sweaty. With that being said, it’s rather self-explanatory that you should shower at night, post-workout. It will help your body calm down and your bedsheets will definitely thank you for it.

3. You experience difficulty falling asleep
According to the New Health Advisor for Daily Health Care, your body cools off rapidly after getting out of the shower. This in turn can prepare it for sleep. So, showering at night might actually help you fall asleep a little easier.

4. You get dirty throughout the day
It’s quite normal for people to get dirty throughout the day. Between natural sweat, air pollution, and basically everything we come in contact with throughout the day, we’re in need of a good clean. So, if you work in an environment that leaves you susceptible to dirt (i.e. work outside, etc.), it’s a good idea to take a shower before hitting the sheets.

When to shower in the morning:

1. You have oily skin 
It is easy for the oil in your skin to build up while you are asleep. So, if you are a person that has oily skin, it’s actually best for you to shower in the morning. That way, you wash off any excess oil and are left feeling fresh and clean. Plus, it makes for an easier makeup application; the pigment within the makeup will have a much easier time sticking to your skin without the excess overnight build-up of oil.

2. You are so NOT a morning person
Yes, I know… I shed a tear upon discovering this as well. Unfortunately, for us night owls, showering in the morning is actually quite beneficial. The water will provide a nice shock and wake us up. This way, we will feel more awake, alert, and ready for the day ahead.

3. You work in a creative field
Quite a few people do their best thinking in the shower. According to Shelley Carson, Harvard psychology lecturer, this is due to the relaxed but alert brain wave state people enter while under the water. So, a morning shower might just be the kick-start to your day that you’ve been looking for!

4. You work out in the morning
Firstly, if this is you, you go girl! I am seriously impressed with your motivation and dedication. That being said, showering in the morning is best due to, well, quite obvious reasons. No one wants to spend their day gross and sweaty, so hit the shower girl.

Sources: Cover, 1, 2, 3

Alexandria is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa with majors in Communications and English. She is passionate about animal rights, advocating for mental health, writing, and napping. In the odd occasion that she does have spare time, you can find her crying over cute videos of puppies, devouring a tub of chocolate peanut butter ice cream, reading, or playing with her cat.