Shopping Tips to Build Your Makeup Collection on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Are you ready to start building your makeup collection? Are you on a budget? Read this article for tips and tricks on what to buy to save money while building your collection.

Buy one mascara that offers volume and length
Some mascaras offer volume, some offer length; instead of buying two different ones, get one that offers both! This mascara from Covergirl is called Lashblast Fusion because it fuses the volume and lengthening capacities of the brand’s other mascaras.

Buy a foundation with concealing properties
This is a tricky one: if your face isn’t prone to spots and discolouration, you can get yourself a concealer and only spot conceal, then be good to go. On the other hand, some foundations have concealer ‘’built in,’’ where you can just concentrate them on your spots and discolouration to even out your skin tone without needing an extra concealer. Try this foundation from Milani or even any foundation with a fuller coverage!

Use your concealer to highlight your face
For a chiselled look without an expensive contour palette, use your daily concealer or a lighter (1-2 shades lighter than your skin tone) one and apply it to specific areas like under your eyes and on the bridge of the nose to add definition without needing an extra product.

Buy a good eyeshadow palette and make it versatile
If you wear eyeshadow daily, your best investment will be an eyeshadow palette. You can get a palette with neutral colours and with both matte and shimmer formulas for more versatility. A light brown matte shade can be used as a brow powder and a light shimmering champagne shade can be used as a highlighter. These Dream Catcher palettes from NYX all have lighter to darker shades, different finishes, and some even have a pop of colour! This much versatility for $15 is a great deal.

Use lipstick as blush
This age old trick has been around as long as makeup has been used. Use your favourite lipstick and dab it lightly on your cheeks, then blend out for a dewy, blushed look. Make sure to use a light hand and to preferably use a matte formula to keep oils at bay if you have oily skin.

Contour with your bronzer
Some bronzers have a cooler undertone and can also be used as a contour (vice-versa where you can use a warmer contour). This is a great trick because contour powders and bronzers can get expensive and offer a similar finish. This Studio Bronzer  from E.L.F. also has different colours in one cheap ($4) compact. You can swirl your brush along or use specific colours for different looks.

Use your mascara to try out cream eyeliner
Instead of going out and buying a cream or gel eyeliner, use an angled brush and with the product from your mascara tube you can draw an easy cat-eye. This formula won’t be as easy to use as specifically designed eyeliner but it is a safe and easy way to skip on buying an eyeliner if you don’t wear it everyday.

Use your face mist to set your face
Instead of buying a face mist and a separate setting spray, use your face mist (or make one yourself with water and aloe) to blend your powder into your face and give you a flawless finish. A setting spray does promise longer makeup-wear but if you only wear makeup for a few hours, or even if makeup doesn’t break easily on you, this tip will save you an extra purchase!

These tips are only to be taken lightly, if you do not wear eyeshadow, it will be cheaper for you to buy a separate brow powder and highlight instead of a whole palette. On the same note, if you never wear lipstick, buying a blush will be more beneficial for you. Try to be creative with how you use your products and remember that makeup is fun!

Sources: Cover, 1