This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

There’s plenty of reasons to shop in your own backyard instead of the usual Forever 21’s or Urban Outfitters out there. Finding something truly unique and supporting a new and upcoming designer gives a whole new meaning (and excuse) to shopping. 

Trust Fund and Road Trip

You could say that sister boutiques Road Trip and Trust Fund are two stores have similar tastes and they are local favourites. Known for their indie collections, as well as the classics, these little shops are sure to have something for every collegiette. 

From delicate dresses to urban (dare we say hipster?) styles, a few minutes inside will confirm all the praises you hear when asking about these two gems. If the clothing isn’t enough to draw you in, the impeccable customer service should be. The staff is always friendly and ready to chat about the latest trends or that awful midterm that made you turn to retail therapy. Check out their stylish ensembles over at their Facebook pages here and here.

Victoire

With two locations in Ottawa the ladies behind Victoire take shopping local to a whole new level by focusing on Canadian designers. Who knew we had so much talent? Take a few minutes to browse their website and get blown away. There’s no such thing as a bad outfit here. 

Hello Yellow

This cheery little gem is just outside the city in Almonte, specializing in everything handmade. Yes, everything. Candles, home décor, clothing- you name it and Hello Yellow has it, and it’s all hand crafted. 

Our favourite product from their online shop? This gorgeous calendar to keep you organized in style all semester long. Convenient, since sometimes the idea of taking the bus out to Almonte in the dead of winter just isn’t appealing.

What are your favourite places to go to for some well-deserved retail therapy? Let us know in the comments and it could be featured on the next round of #Shop613 

Shevaun is in her fourth and final year as an international development student at the University of Ottawa. West coast born and raised she's often found practicing yoga and sipping on some green tea. Easily enticed by anything fair trade or ethical she's always on the hunt for the latest and greatest coffee shops or local boutiques. As the editor for the news section, if you're a gee-gee on campus with a story to tell or an event needing coverage, be sure to get in contact!