Anna Schultz-White Canvas Shoes Relaxing
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Style

A Shoe From The Heart: Ubuntu Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

From the time I could remember, I’ve always loved shoes. Some people had bracelets, some people have earrings, and I had shoes. Over the years, my collection of shoes has expanded to some amazing empowering brands. One of those brands is called Ubuntu Life. 

Their Story 

Ubuntu Life stemmed from a friendship between two pastors Jeremiah Kuria and Zane Wilemon, from Kenya and Texas respectfully. The two pastors created a centre for children who have disabilities; helping to provide therapy and medical care for these children. The mothers of these children started to then ask the pastors for help to do something productive in their times. 

The company started to create their products in 2011, with nine moms making products that were simple: shopping bags, coffee sleeves, bandanas, and coasters. 

In 2012 they began working with a group of Maasai craftswomen in the Ngong Hills. These women, our Maasai Maker Mums, created the beautiful beadwork that Ubuntu Life has to offer. 

“Ubuntu Life PPC, a public benefit corporation, was founded in 2019 to empower the creation of these beautiful products for sale in Kenya and internationally, providing members of our community with sustainable employment. Ubuntu Life Foundation, the charitable organization which is focused on providing pediatric health and special needs education across the region, is our primary impact partner.”

What Does “Ubuntu” Mean?

From their website, the Ubuntu family explains that the term is in fact a philosophy:

“Ubuntu is an African philosophy that means ‘I am, because we are.’ It describes the interconnectedness among all things. We all depend on every other being on this planet in ways large and small, and we feel those connections now more strongly than ever. To reach our full potential, both individually and as a society, we must help others reach theirs: I am because we are.”

The Foundation Goal

The Ubuntu Life Foundation helps to provide resources, medical care and essential services to children with physical needs in Kenya. 

Check them out here!

My Shoes

Ubuntu Life - Side View
Original photo by Isabella Toric
One of my favourite pair of shoes came from Ubuntu Life. Their Afridrille shoes are by far the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned. They’re the perfect summer and fall shoe. Fitting true to their size, the shoes have been with me through some crazy Canadian weather and made it through in perfect condition! 

If you’re a fan of Toms or Bobs, these are the shoes for you! They fit similar to Toms but the soles are more durable and beautiful, with their unique logo inscribed in the sole. Along with the fun sole, the inside of the shoes also has a little picture of the mothers behind the Afridrille shoe. 

Ubuntu Life - Front Side
Original photo by Isabella Toric
Look no further if you need a new pair of comfy shoes. These are the ones for you!

Bonus!

If you are ever in need of new bracelets, Ubuntu Life also has beaded bracelets in handfuls of variations that you can rock. My personal favourite (that’s sitting in my jewelry box right now!) is the black and white Vote bracelet! The bracelets are made with cords so they will fit however you’d like them to! Just slip them on and rock their beautiful designs.

Check out Ubuntu Life to read about their story and browse their made with love products! 

Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!