This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

A Canadian take on Southern style food and hospitality. If you’re in the mood for some heart warming comfort food with a twist, Union Local 613 should be the next restaurant you try. The eclectically designed restaurant, showcasing artwork by local artists and their diverse menu inspired by locavorism, focusing and supporting local products for their dishes are bound to be a conversation starter if you date is fizzling out. This restaurant has been making a name for itself not only in the food they serve, but their extensive drink menu as well offering everything from bourbon lemonade, hibiscus rum punch to the section on their menu labelled Prohibition if you’re not in the mood for an alcoholic beverage.

With their communal style seating and speakeasy-basement-dungeon bar, you can get quite close to the people sitting beside you. If you’re okay with getting a little cozy with strangers or eavesdropping on their conversation a little, this restaurant definitely gives you the local-hipster-restaurant vibes. But if you go, you’ll walk away talking more about the food than you think.

Their dinner menu ranges from serving classic southern fried chicken, Louisiana catfish to smoked pork back ribs. You can also choose what side you want to go with your main course menu. Serving everything from cast iron corn bread with bourbon brown butter, to rancho stye pinto beans. A personal favourite side would most definitely be the cheddar and roster garlic hominy grits – a very decadent side if you’re looking for some hearty comfort food.

Let’s talk brunch. Union Local 613 offers everything from weekly beignets specials, breakfast poutine made with smoked brisket, and smoked pork back ribs served with scrambled eggs. Let’s not forget their feature item which is what most people order when they go: a fried chicken and waffle sandwich topped with a sunny side up egg, picked green onions and spicy maple syrup.

Do you want to learn more about whiskey, or do you just have a general appreciation for the drink? Union Local 613 offers Speakeasy Sessions where you can learn about the history, creations and characteristics of different brands and types of whiskey. Each sessions offers 8 different types of whiskey or cocktails to try. If you’re interested go online and reserve your spot, they’re a hot commodity to those whiskey lovers out there.

If you’re planning on heading to Union Local 613, and let’s be honest you’re already looking at their dinner menu and deciding what dishes you should be trying this time and the next time – call ahead and make a reservation, this is one restaurant you don’t want to be turned away from.

Union Local 613

315 Somerset Street West, Ottawa

(613) 231-1010

Picture Sources

1, 2, 3

Janice Fu

U Ottawa

Janice Fu is a fourth year International Development and Globalization Student with a minor in Political Science. She is currently a writer for the HerCampus UOttawa News Team.