Shaken Not Stirred: Operation Wish Event Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Dressing up for a fancy dinner event on a Friday night sounds like a great time, but what makes it even better is doing it all for a wonderful cause.

On March 4th, a group of Algonquin College’s Event Management students hosted a fundraising gala for the Children’s Wish Foundation at the Nepean Sportsplex. The theme for the evening was a James Bond villains’ top secret event.

The moment the ballroom doors opened, guests were immediately transported to the Whyte House Casino, where martinis and poker games awaited them. The evening began with a cocktail hour that allowed guests to mingle, bid at the silent auction, win prizes, and enjoy entertainment from Bond movie characters in costume.

Villain Mr. Blofeld, head of SPECTRE, entered the room with his cat on arm, accompanied by body guards. He welcomed guests to the gala and allowed everyone to be seated for dinner. The tables embodied a beautiful display of white and black with sparkles, carrying out the “Diamonds Are Forever” décor with class and elegance.

A first course of caesar salad was served, followed by a speech from Darcy McRae, a young boy granted a wish from the Children’s Wish Foundation. Darcy shared his story with guests, explaining how illness has affected his life. With the help of the Foundation, he was able to travel to Paris with his family. Darcy gave guests a look inside of how special these wishes really can be for children who are ill. When he returned from Paris, he explained how he wanted to pay it back for another child to have a wish granted. He started fundraising and eventually reached over $15,000 to donate to the cause.

It’s not fun… it can be tough when you have an illness. But it’s really nice to have your wish granted.”

The focus in the room transitioned from chatter and cocktails to all eyes and ears on Darcy and his story. Putting a face to a child who the donations have actually supported allowed guests to make a genuine emotional connection with the charity. By sharing his experience, guests were reminded why they were there for the evening and encouraged to continue supporting such an important cause.

The main dishes of chicken parmesan and pasta primavera were served next, while local singer, Samantha Testa, performed. Cupcakes were provided for dessert donated by Hot Cream Holes.

Continuing with the theme of secrecy and intrigue was a performance by Kevin Smith Magic where guests were captivated by his humour and unbelievable talent. He brought up many volunteers from the audience to assist in performing his illusions and magic tricks which energized the crowd and kept the gala full of surprises and fun.

Throughout the night, guests continuously felt part of the bigger “Mission”. The planning team did a neat job of including an event within an event by engaging their guests as though they were in a Bond film as actual spies. The evening concluded with Bond and the M16 Academy capturing Mr. Blofeld. From the smiling faces of the guests during the entire gala, it was evident that not only did the Algonquin students do a fantastic job planning and executing the Whyte House themed event, but they provided a perfect evening to raise money for charity.

All above pictures were taken by Algonquin student, Nikki Kearley. Photo below, taken by Her Campus uOttawa, is the Events Management team behind this gala, with HC uOttawa team members, Emily Sams and Shannon Charbonneau.

HC uOttawa would like to thank Shaken Not Stirred: Operation Wish for inviting us to your event! We had a great night and appreciate all your hard work. The décor, entertainment, and overall theme made it clear that Diamonds are Forever, and so are the memories cherished by the children and families who have their wishes granted.

HCXO

Daughter, sister, student, friend. I have a fond love for good board games, napping and tea. I consider myself to be a professional apple cutter.