Seasonal Healthy Eating: Autumn Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

What’s the first thing we tend to think about when it comes to autumn and food? Pumpkin spice lattes of course. But what else can we relate the season to? When you live in a nation as diverse as ours it’s hard to remember that its diversity spreads out to every different aspects of our lives. Living in a location with four seasons, we tend to forget how privileged we actually are because we’re usually to busy complaining about the weather. Not only are we blessed with different fun activities each season; we’re also blessed with an array of different healthy food choices. Each season produces a number of fruits and vegetables that can turn any recipe around – from the main course to a dessert. It’s about time we embraced what each season has to offer us. There are tons of food recipes on the internet (try Pinterest and be ready to have your mouth water) that are easy to make. You don’t have to be a chef to live healthy! Next time you are wondering what to make for dinner try a squash soup recipe or an autumn stir-fry (see below for recipe suggestions).  So get creative in the kitchen this autumn!

Autumn’s gifts to us:  

Most of us grew up knowing some of the obvious produce items thanks to Canadian traditions like apples, pumpkins, squash, corn, eggplants, zucchini, yams, figs, cranberries and potatoes. But we tend to forget that the following are seasonal as well (due to the forced greenhouse cultivating in other seasons) and taste the best when eaten at the right time. Did you know broccoli is sweeter when harvested in the fall? Or that onions are harvested in the fall and then stored throughout the year? Or that the best time to get fresh peppers is early fall? Or that cabbage is sweeter if it is picked in the late fall? Other produce such as pears, persimmons, leeks, arugula, carrots, cauliflower, celery, garlic and kale are also harvested during the fall.

Where you can purchase:

Lucky for us, Ottawa has quite a few places that sell fresh produce for a bargain. Of course you can always go to Loblaw’s or Metro for your produce, but if you prefer organic or local grown (support your nation!) here are a few places you can go:

1) The ByWard Market:

The market place has a couple of kiosks right at the center that sell and support local farmers. If you visit Byward Market’s website, under ‘Outdoor Vending’ you will find an extensive list of hours and foods available.

2) Ottawa’s Farmer’s Market

Located at Brewer’s Park (near Carleton), it holds over a 100 different vendors. Everything sold is locally grown and is open on Sunday’s until 3pm. Their website also contains a list of all the vendors and foods you can find.

3) Ottawa’s Organic Farmer’s Market:

Located at 1644 Bank Street near Heron station, this last option may seem far but is completely worth the distance. It’s open on Saturdays all year long and offers every seasonal option out there from food to skin products.

See recipe options here:

Squash Soup: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-soup-ii

Stir-Fry: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/mi4gs88j/autumn-vegetable-stir-fry.html

Communications student university of Ottawa Writer artist musician