Right on the Pulse of Trend: The Vero Moda Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Nothing says fashion like British fashionista Alexa Chung, who is the current face of Vero Moda. Her trendy, hip and down-to-earth style embodies exactly what this brand is all about. The Danish brand launched in 1989 and unbeknownst to most, opened its first boutique in Ottawa a little over a year ago and merits some exposure due to its on-trend and original looks that also respect animal-rights.

“Right on the pulse of trends,” is how Store manager Pilard, describes Vero Moda’s clothing adding that “as soon as it hits the runway, we get it in store.” Vero Moda prides itself on being right on par with what big name fashion icons are putting on their runways. She goes on to explain that the Vero Moda buyer attends many notable fashion events such as New York Fashion Week in order to ensure that the stores are keeping up with trends. Vero Moda is as an affordable brand which caters to women of all ages while offering its shoppers the opportunity to follow fashion on their own terms (and budget!). Located in St-Laurent mall, the mid-size boutique carries a variety of trendy items, wardrobe staples, and seasonal essentials!

Staff Picks to add to your wardrobe this winter:

Jeannette

Boyfriend Collared Dress Shirt

“The material is soft, and it’s basically the perfect ‘go to’ shirt,” is how she describes the garment. The Visual mastermind for Vero Moda’s St-Laurent boutique jokingly adds, “you can throw a tank top underneath since the blouse is a little sheer, or not if the look you’re going for is a on the bolder end of the spectrum.” This blouse can be worn with leggings, dress pants, tucked in or not and is a perfect garment for young ladies anticipating a transition from student to working woman.  Jeanette also suggests belting it, or wearing the blouse open and tying it. “I have three of them myself. It’s just a great lightweight blouse”.

Kristen

Fur Vest

“It’s an amazing statement piece especially for fall”, says Kristen who works at the boutique as a stylist. “You can pair it with a tank, if you’re mostly indoors of course; otherwise it’s a really nice accent piece over a leather jacket.” Indeed, this vest is multi-purpose and can easily be worn into the fall paired with a long tank and a pair of fashionable leggings for going out or over a sheer blouse with a pair of denim jeans. Kristen also suggests pairing it with a long-sleeved dress. “Fur was all over New York fashion week, especially this season.”

Arshia

Black Coated Denim

“These are my favourite pair of pants to show customers. They fit every single body type,” says Arshia. Black coated denim jeans are famously worn by Kim Kardashian, and have been making an appearance on racks in a few Ottawa retail stores. The stylist adds “it’s hard to find a nice pair of shiny leggings, so this is a great alternative because it’s not too shiny and these jeans are more forgiving than a pair of leggings.” Arshia says she would pair the denim with a knit sweater to dress them down and to dress them up, she suggests adding a pair of platform heels.

The brand bans the manufacturing of real fur, and whenever they include leather items in their collections, they use materials that are remains from the food industry, meaning no animals are harmed for the purpose of manufacturing Vero Moda garments. Pilard adds, “Everything is dyed with organic coloring because harsh chemicals usually harm the fabric so organic coloring not only makes the color more vibrant but it also makes the garments last longer.”

Vero Moda is a great boutique  for anyone looking for quality clothing with a European flair at affordable prices, not to mention their noteworthy customer service. “We have a saying here,” says Pilard: “The Vero Moda woman is ageless. She just has different moods. Our goal is to dress her for each of those moods.”

Photo Credit:
Oohlalalondon.com & Vero Moda