burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Reasons Why Black is ALWAYS the New Black

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

While I enjoy wearing colours, I prefer to wear black. All black, if I can help it. To me and many others, black isn’t just a colour (or a shade), it’s a lifestyle. From the tips of my nails, to my favourite matte lipstick, everything and anything comes in the perfect shade of black.

The “all black everything” trend isn’t new and it definitely isn’t going anywhere. Even when the fashion world declares a new colour or the official shade of the season, we know better than to believe it. The strangest part is, sometimes I have to defend my love for the all-black outfit. I’ve had people ask me why I wear all black. My answer, simply put, is that black will always be the new black and I have five reasons why.

1. Black goes with anything and everything

Period. Black falls within the spectrum of neutral colours, which means it’s guaranteed to match almost anything. However, I find that black is the most consistent shade to go with when matching clothes. You pretty much can’t go wrong with black. Now matching black with black? That can be a hit or miss situation, especially when you’ve washed one shirt one too many times, and the shade slowly fades from black to a dark grey.

2. Black is always in style

The amount of times I pick up an item of non-black clothing and then proceed to search for it in black is too high to count. Part of the reason I love black so much is because it will never go out of style. No one will ever say, black is “so last season”, because it never gets old. The little black dress and the tailored black suit are classic, and I think we owe it to the shade to continue wearing its legacy.

3. Black is versatile

Black is edgy. Black is sophisticated. Black is simple. Black is bold. Even when we wear all black, we can still have dynamic and interesting outfits. The outfit becomes more about playing with different textures and silhouettes, all the while maintaining a uniform shade of black. Basically, black is the Supreme when it comes to colours.

4. Black looks good on (almost) everyone

We’ve been told time and time again that black is slimming, although I’ve heard that this is merely a fashion myth. Wearing black, or a monochrome look, like all white, is supposed to create an illusion of a slimmer, smaller body, but apparently this isn’t always true. Fit is still an important factor to consider, even when wearing black. I find that black is a perfect way to amp up your outfit and air. It flatters just about any skin tone and body shape and for this we are grateful.

5. It’s basically the same shade as your soul, dark.

As I said before, people who wear all black don’t see black as just another shade or colour. It’s more than that. It’s an aesthetic, a way of being, and the centerpiece to our sense of style. If I could quote one person who embodies this motto it would be Wednesday Addams who said, “I’ll stop wearing black when they invent a darker colour.”

Wearing black becomes a style habit for many. Whether it’s all black or just a hint of black, I always seem to reach for my favourite pair of black leggings, t shirts, and blazers. The only struggle of having so much black in my closet is trying to differentiate between them. I kid you not. Other than that, black remains and will always be timeless, stylish, and irreplaceable.

How do you feel about black? Do you have a stylish all-black outfit to show off? Snap a pic and tag us on Instagram or send us a tweet on Twitter!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Kaysey graduated from the University of Ottawa with a double major in English and Sociology and is currently studying Professional Writing and Communications at Humber College. She hails from the fabulous city of Toronto and can quote Disney like it's her job. Some of her favourite things to do are reading, writing, and aimlessly surfing the internet for inspiration. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram, @kaysey_dee,  or check out her blog: Portrait of a Fashionista