Real Girl World: 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before My Last Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Graudation is fast approaching (I swear I just declared my major), which had me thinking, if I could start all over again, what would I want to know before my last year?

1. You can do an exchange more than once in your undergrad 

I did an exchange for one semester and it was the best time of my entire undergraduate career. While I worried about money before the trip, uOttawa wins when it comes to scholarships and funding (read: free money) for those embarking on an exchange. After the end of the experience, I found myself wishing for more, and learning that “zomg, its actually possible”. Doing the exchange in my first semester of my fourth year however, it wasn’t possible for me. If this is something that interests you, be sure to double check with your faculty, as each faculty has specific rules about it!

2. Keep up with professors, even if you didn’t plan on doing a masters program

Profs are a whelp of knowledge and information inside the classroom, as well as out. I didn’t want to do a masters program initially, so I steered away from seemingly brown-nosing my way into the masters references, but in my last term, I found that natural conversation with my profs was easy and I learned an incredible amount from their own learning experiences. Lesson learned: professors love engaging with their students outside the classroom about things not necessarily relevant to the class. I give these guys an A+.

3. You can get certified in French bilingualism for $10

For real. If you want to be certified and prove that you can bonjour your way into life, sign up for the FLS 3500 course at the OLBI (2nd floor, ARTS building) and pay $10 for the learning CD. You can go to one of two classes a week to practice your French and sit your exams in early April (or December if you’re doing it in the Fall). You need a score of 2/4 to pass and if you fail there’s a re-do later in the term. If you’re a part-time student at uOttawa, you have to pay specific fees. Check out http://www.olbi.uottawa.ca/credit_courses_certification.php for more info.

4. SASS has a fantastic team of staff ready and able to support you in a million ways

Okay, maybe not one million ways, but the Student Academic Success Service is there for you in more ways than one. From peer counselors to career advice, SASS has it all. Highly recommended is the SASS Career Services located on the 3rd floor of UCU. I promise, there is a 3rd floor! The entrance to the stairs is by the Tim Hortons, and services include career testing, job search strategy and the resume critique.

5. Enjoy the ride, because it will be over sooner than later

Being in school for 5 years, it seemed like an eternity until the day I requested to graduate. In retrospect though, it really wasn’t that long. The time I spent with my friends flew by, but at the time, the slow measured pace of school made it feel like time was going slower. The whole time I thought the grass is greener on the other side until coworkers started telling me they wish they were students again. No matter where you are, at least the grass is green so enjoy the moments while you can and remember to make (un)forgettable memories!!

The Graduating Girl

Picture credits:

www.cavemag.com

www.applytostudy.blogspot.com