This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Since Christmas, I’ve gotten myself into a bit of a book-buying habit, which is no good when I’m not reading as fast as I’m buying. So I found myself in a bit of a reading slump while still on a purchasing high! These are a few of the books I purchased that got me out of my reading slump. 

Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller 

Verity by Colleen Hoover 

My Best Friend’s Exorcism by Grady Hendrix 

Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey 

The Deal by Elle Kennedy 

The Paper Palace by Miranda Cowley Heller 

Sometimes, as I’ve found recently, in order to get out of a slump, it’s better to read something that would normally be outside of your comfort zone. In my life, I have never enjoyed a horror novel but after reading My Best Friend’s Exorcism, I bought two more of Grady Hendrix’s books and never fail to recommend his work or loan my friends his books! 

Other times, it’s best to read a shorter novel with a predictable ending. Nearly every romance novel falls into this category. Of course there’s going to be discourse, but in the end, they always end up together! 

After reading 16 books between this January and February, I’m reading back into a post-reading week reading slump and know it’ll be another amazing Grady Hendrix novel or a predictable Tessa Bailey book that will get me back to my TBR pile.

Maddie is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa majoring in History. She is a major fan of Friends, and The Office and is a geek for all things history. Maddie loves food, relaxing, and her cat.