Rave survival guide: What to pack in your Fanny Pack!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We’ve all been there, drastically rushing to finish getting ready before the rave hoping you’ve grabbed everything you can think of for your fanny pack and sprinting out the door. Then in the cab to the fest, or in the line, or in the crowd, you think to yourself “damn I forgot my…” and frantically ask your friends and those around you if they have any (chances are they do but it’s always better to have your own). 

Worry no more! Here is your lifeline to what you should pack in your fanny pack for your next music festival. Coming from an experienced raver and also some suggestions from my fellow raver friends, we have compiled a list of everything you should pack beforehand so when it comes time to sprint out the door, you won’t be second guessing if you’ve packed everything you’ll need. 

First things first, always either bring a reusable water bottle (emptied of course) or bring a water bottle cap to close the bottles purchased at the event (most come cap off). This makes sure you can store water and stay hydrated. IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO STAY HYDRATED!!!!! Having your own water will keep you safe since you won’t need to share. An alternative is a hydration pack if you prefer; it’s less clunky but either option will do. 

drinking from water bottle on beach
Photo by Dylan Alcock on Unsplash
Second, bring some gum. It’s nice to have and definitely comes in handy if you meet a cute stranger. If you’re feeling anxious, chewing gum can be a good distraction. Most venues only let you bring sealed gum packages so keep that in mind! My bestie suggests 5 Gum. 

sitting in shopping cart and blowing bubble gum
Photo by Oleg Magni from Pexels

Third, chapstick! Again, lips become very dry through a whole night of singing so why not curb the dry lips with this easy hack.

Fourth, remember ID, keys, cards, and spare cash. It’s always smart to carry cash on you just in case (I normally like to bring 40$). Never leave without these things just in case an emergency occurs.

Fifth and honestly most important in my opinion, bring a portable charger!!!! Phones die at raves often since they are usually all-day events. The last thing you need is a dead phone. There are super cheap portable chargers on Amazon or at any local drugstore. This will ease your anxiety once you see your battery draining… trust me!!! 

Sixth, hand sanitizer. Porta-potties or venue bathrooms are nasty and sometimes their soap or hand sanitizer runs out so always bring your own (you definitely want to avoid getting sick).

Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash

Seventh, hair elastics! Trust me, you will want this by the end of the night.

Eighth thing is a fan. So cute and definitely needed in the hot crowd. Pro tip: get some to match your friends for some super cute pics!

Ninth, extra lash glue to re-glue jewels or for falsies. Never know when you are you going to have a makeup emergency so better be prepared! 

The tenth thing is Tylenol. You never know if you’re going to need it or not, but having one handy could be a life saver later in the night. 

Eleventh thing is a bandana. This will keep the dust out of your face and add a cute accessory to any outfit. Outdoor fests are especially notorious for dust so having one of these handy is even more important! You can get them cheap at the dollar store or off Amazon. 

Off The Shoulder Ootd 1
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus

Thirteenth thing is ear plugs; heavy bass and loud music are super fun but dangerous for the ears so having a pair will help your ears stay safe while still allowing you to enjoy the sounds. They’re also a good investment because you can use them at every fest.

Fourteenth thing is Vicks inhaler (used to decongest the nose). My fellow rave friends swear by this. I personally never have, but now I know for next time! 

And lastly for all the ladies, if it’s your time of the month, add in some tampons/pads. The last thing on your mind should be looking around for one of these!

This is a lengthy list but when it comes time for your next fest, you’ll thank me later. 

Happy raving babes!!! 

Concert
Aditya Chinchure via Unspalsh

Victoria Paller

U Ottawa '22

Just a west coast girl living on the east coast. I love fitness, cooking, hockey, baking, snowboarding and my cat. I hope you like my blogs :-)
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!