Quick and Healthy Breakfast Options for When You’re in a Rush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Or so I’ve been told for who knows how long. Having breakfast in the morning is important since it helps boost your energy for the day. As a student, it can sometimes be hard to make sure you have breakfast; never mind it being healthy! It can be hard to find the time to make it before your 8:30 a.m. class or commute on the bus or LRT. Still, this is the point in our lives where we should be taking the best care possible of ourselves. So here are some quick and nutritious options for breakfast when you’re in a rush!

1. Yogurt, Granola, and Fruit

This only takes a couple of minutes to make, and that’s including the time it would take you to cut up some of the fruits you choose to put in. You can choose literally any flavour of yogurt, whatever fruits you want, and whichever granola you think is best for you. It’s very versatile, and it’s been one of my favourites when it comes to having a healthier start to my day. You can even put it in containers (separate the fruits and granola from the yogurt!) so that you can have it in class or when you get to campus. 

2. Peanut Butter and Banana Wrap/Sandwich

Sometimes it can be easier just to make something super simple. Simple doesn’t mean that something isn’t good! I used to have this a lot as a kid and I’ll still have it sometimes now that I’m living on my own. If you’re allergic to peanut butter, that’s okay. There are plenty of alternatives to peanut butter that may work for you, like soy butter or pea butter. 

3. Mini Quiches

Okay, not something you can make in the morning when you’re trying to get to class. That’s definitely not possible, so it’s best to make mini quiches earlier in the week. Once they’re made, it’s just a matter of putting them in the microwave for a minute while you put your lunch together. 

4. Fruit Salad

Fruit is probably the most basic thing to have for breakfast. But let’s face it, grabbing an apple on your way out the door isn’t really cutting it. Fruit salad is something that can be made the night before or morning of, plus you get to choose whatever fruits you want to be in it. In winter months, it’s a bit tougher to get fresh fruit since the prices tend to go up. There’s still the option of using frozen fruit, which is not only cheaper but is generally already cut up when you buy it. 

5. Smoothie

Let’s be real, smoothies are actually the best. They’re quick, they’re filling, and if you use a travel mug, they’re portable. It’s definitely one of the best options for class or commute since it isn’t as distracting as a container full of food. Making this the night before might be easiest, especially for those with roommates who want to sleep-in when they don’t have class. Still, once it’s made and in the fridge, it’s just a matter of grab-and-go in the morning. 

Second-year anthropology student at uOttawa.
Taylor is a 4th year student at the University of Ottawa studying Political Science and Philosophy. In addition to writing for Her Campus Taylor is the President of the University of Ottawa Equestrian Team, Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus uOttawa and the Vice President of the Ontario Collegiate Equestrian Association. Taylor spends her weekends competing with the team, and when she's not in class she can be found studying on campus. Taylor loves coffee, and tending to her plethora of plants.