Pasta
Pasta
Shun Matsuhashi / Spoon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Who isn’t a fan of pasta! Whether it is for its affordability or its marvelous taste, somehow, pasta is part of everybody’s life. That versatile aliment, such an easy and quick meal to cook, can be found in almost every culture’s typical meal. High in carbs – beneficial ones – pasta is also an excellent source of essential nutrients, such as various forms of fiber, vitamins and minerals. Plus, it can easily get paired with numerous healthful ingredients, such as all kind of cheese, vegetables and meats.  

What’s in it?

Cook Pasta
Alex Frank / Spoon

When it comes to carbohydrates, pasta is one of the greatest sources of fuel for your body. Besides, it’s even better when you opt for whole-wheat pasta, as they provide a great amount of dietary fiber, which is also a beneficial type of carbohydrate. These fibers in particular help fight chronic diseases, such as obesity and type 2 diabetes. They also promote digestive health, as well as being an excellent source of selenium, a mineral that protects your cells from molecular damage. Selenium can be found in both white and whole-wheat types of pasta, as well as a mineral called manganese, which is a strong helper in metabolizing carbohydrates and regulating your blood sugar.

Another great thing with pasta is that it is a strong source of folate, also known as vitamin B-9. Folate are important nutriments as they play a key role in red blood cell development and help support rapid cell growth. In addition, whole-wheat pasta provides great carotenoids, such as lutein and zeaxanthin, both highly involved in lung cancer risk reductions, according to Linus Pauling Institute.

Recipes

a woman stands over the stove cutting an herb out of a pot on the window sill with a pair of scissors. there are pans of pasta stirfry on the burner.
Tina Dawson | Unsplash

There are countless recipes that include pasta. Noodles, when matched with tasty ingredients can make miracles. Also, one of the great things with pasta’s versatility is that they are as good serve cold or warmed up. Of course, the noodles need to be cook at first, but later on, finishing up some leftovers, pasta salads are both simply delicious and healthy. 

When served warm, you can either prepare your meal with a layer of béchamel sauce, garnish it with cheese or simply cover your pasta with some tomato sauce – even better when paired with proteins such as sausages or meat balls.

All in all, pasta is one of the tastiest, while being one of the healthiest, meal ever known all over the world. Everything depends on how you will decide to serve it. From the spiciest sauces to the simplest vegetable toppings, pasta is easily adaptable to every kind of budget, schedule, cultural background, and personal taste! 

Sources : 1, 2, 3, 4

Fourth-year journalism student at UOttawa & La Cité, Rebecca is Senior Editor for the HCuO chapter—entering her fourth consecutive year with the team.
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.