Probiotics: The Key to a Happy Gut

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The new year is upon us and as usual everyone is busy trying to stick to one of their new year’s resolutions: being healthy. Cliché as it may be, striving for better health is always commendable, so why not start right at the gut, with our little friends, “probiotics.”

What are probiotics?
First and foremost, probiotics are live bacteria. Yes, you read that correctly; I am trying to convince you to ingest live bacteria. Before you report me to the authorities, please understand that probiotics are of course the “good” bacteria that your body needs to help keep your digestive system healthy.

What do they do?
Probiotics essentially help with digestion and offer protection from harmful bacteria. Our colon is naturally stocked with good residential bacteria that help us digest foods and help us gain nutrients. However, there is always potential for infectious bacteria to enter our system and colonize, which can lead to diarrhea and other digestive ailments. If we are lacking in good bacteria, there leaves a space for bad bacteria to fill. So, the idea behind increasing our consumption of probiotics is to minimize the space available to the harmful bacteria to ultimately prevent or minimize digestive ailments.

During the winter season, students are likely to fall ill and may subsequently take antibiotics, which are known to kill off some of the good bacteria in our bodies, and may also result in diarrhea as a side effect. However, those who take probiotics alongside antibiotics are 42% less likely to develop diarrhea than those who took antibiotics alone, according to a 2012 clinical review published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).

Researchers at Harvard Medical School are finding evidence of a relationship between the abundance of “good” bacteria and the immune system. Findings have shown that certain bacteria in the gut influence the development of aspects of the immune system, such as correcting deficiencies and increasing the numbers of certain T cells. However, the exact mechanisms of how the bacteria interact with the immune system are not yet known.

How can we get them?
Probiotic supplements are available at most drug stores, health food stores, or nutrition stores, but they can also be found in many foods. Yogurt, Kefir, sauerkraut, dark chocolate, and kimchi are excellent sources to name a few.

So, will you be looking to add in some probiotic food sources to your diet? Let us know in the comments below! As always, best wishes for success in all your health-related goals!

Sources
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Passionate about Health, spirituality, zen, and Personal Development. Keeping it real from day one. Hope you all enjoy my content :)