How To Enjoy Your Period
How To Enjoy Your Period
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
Wellness

Period Pain? Try Ovira

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Not unlike many others, I deal with period pain once a month. Normally, I would pop an Advil and suffer through the cramps, back pain, breast pain, and even more for a week. However, I have recently found Ovira. My boyfriend actually bought it for me as a gift, and I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. It exceeded my expectations and I’m so glad that he purchased it for me. 

Ovira is a product made by people with periods and for people with periods to help deal with and relieve period pain. While their main intended audience is those with PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome), endometriosis, adenomyosis, and more, it can be used by anyone who suffers from period cramps (like myself). 

The device can be ordered online from their website https://ovira.com and is completely reusable. The package will come with your Ovira device, a USB charger, a Y cable, storage pouch, 2 love handle stickers, 2 extra sticky patches, and a love handle storage disc. 

Ovira packaging
Original photo by Madeline Snider
Once unpackaged, you can use it right away! My Ovira came with a small amount of charge, but you might want to plug it in and get it fully charged (with the USB charger) for its best use! To begin, the sticky pads are plugged into the y wire, which is then plugged into the Ovira device. These sticky pads can then be stuck to your stomach or your love handles (I personally prefer sticking them to my stomach). From here, you switch on your Ovira device. It will send small electrical pulses through the pads, which feel like small vibrations on the skin. 

The pulses that Ovira transmits will go straight to your nerves. This blocks the pain signals travelling to your brain, causing painful cramps to disappear. There is also an option on the device to increase and decrease the strength of the vibrations. Meaning, if you have extremely bad cramps you can increase the vibrations, however if they aren’t as bad the next day, you have the option to decrease the intensity of the vibrations.

Ovira device on bathroom counter
Original photo by Madeline Snider
Personally, I usually have one or two days per period where I am in a lot of pain. Ovira has helped me a lot, especially since the device is portable! The company does not recommend using it while sleeping, however I’ve used it while napping for a few hours at a time and it was the only thing that could get me to sleep through my cramps. 

The best part is that the pads are reusable up to 10 times (approximately) before needing to be swapped out with the second pair that comes in the package! Other pads can be bought on the website for an additional fee (but are totally worth the price). 

Ovira has truly saved my period pain, and I’m so happy that I managed to get my hands on one. I highly recommend the device for anyone who suffers through monthly cramps and is searching for a solution. 

You can also head to their website and search through their FAQ (https://ovira.helpdocs.io) if you’re wanting to learn more about the device and see if it’s right for you!

Maddie is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa majoring in History. She is a major fan of Friends, and The Office and is a geek for all things history. Maddie loves food, relaxing, and her cat.