This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! The trees are sparkling, pretty lights are flashing in every window and “Baby It’s Cold Outside” is playing on repeat in the lobby of your building. Final exams are thankfully coming to an end and Christmas is going to be here in like five minutes. Unsurprisingly you haven’t checked anyone off your shopping list yet and you also can’t go to the mall to shop because you don’t feel like it. Don’t worry about it though, because I’ve made a list of five totally easy and super affordable DIY spa gifts and checked it twice! 

So, I know I’m not alone when I say that winter is only getting started and that the cold air has already seriously affected my skin. So instead of giving your credit card a last-minute workout of it’s lifetime, try making these recipes guaranteed for better physical and mental health that you, your friends and your family will absolutely love… because sometimes a girl just needs to take a break from thinking about herself to relax and do a little good for herself. 

1. Glitter Bath Bombs 

Would it be the holidays if you didn’t have more glitter on your face and body than the floor of a Forever 21? Hell no! This bath bomb will not only make you look like a queen, it will also help you feel so insanely zen and leave you with emotional clarity to make some big decisions this holiday season (like red or white?).

2. Candy Cane Peppermint Sugar Scrub 

Not only are scrubs super easy to make, they help ensure that your skin remains soft all day, every day. What’s super cool about this recipe is that it includes a few beneficial ingredients like coconut oil as well as vanilla and peppermint essential oils. On a side note, if you’re looking to get rid of a few unwanted candy canes, I once crushed the few I had lying around and added them to the mix. After using this scrub, you and your loved ones will smell amaze, be crafty and look ♡flawless♡. 

3. Gingerbread Lip Scrub 

So now that your friends and fam have a scrub for their body, they’ll also need one for their lips! Seeing as the lips are a super sensitive area that often gets neglected, it’s best to use a scrub to slough off any dead skin and uncover smooth, healthy lips just in time for a romantic rendez-vous under the mistletoe.

4. Cinnamon Body Oil 

This next recipe is a little concoction of my own. So what I typically do is grab a small glass bottle that comes with a secure lid (the last thing you want is an oil leak). Next I add two drops of cinnamon and one drop of vanilla essential oils. Finally, I pop the lid back on and make sure to mix everything up by giving the bottle a quick shake. Ta-da! Couldn’t be easier!

5. Peppermint Cocoa Lip Balm

Nothing is worse than crusty lips. Sometimes you just need something simple that will get the job done and this guy will do the trick. Not only does this homemade lip balm go on super smooth, it actually heals your lips as opposed making things worse by just coating them store-bought stuff that contains tons of weird chemicals.

One of the best gifts you can give this holiday season is the gift of relaxation, so thank me later!

23 / coffee aficionado / local plant and fashion enthusiast / food before dudes / currently completing a bachelor's degree in Lettres françaises et éducation ❤️
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.