Ottawa Alternatives to a Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Thanksgiving brings to mind a lot of different images, many of which revolve around food. If you’re staying on campus or aren’t going for Thanksgiving weekend, that shouldn’t mean that you miss out on some of the best parts of the long weekend! Check out the places below for a delicious alternative to a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner!

1. Thyme & Again

This option lets you get the delicious Thanksgiving food without having to use every pot and pan you own. Thyme & Again is “an award-winning industry leader with 25 years of hospitality and entertaining experience bringing inspiration and commitment to our clients, our community and to each other” that supports local community food initiatives. You can feel good by supporting local businesses and the movement to eat delicious local food. If you opt for ordering the two-person Thanksgiving dinner, you could share with friends for not much more than what you may spend on a regular dinner. Or if you get it for just yourself, you’ll be set with leftovers for days too.

2. Organize a “Friendsgiving”

If you would prefer to stay in on the Thanksgiving weekend, call up some of your friends in the city and organize a big potluck. The holidays, but Thanksgiving, in particular, are supposed to be a time when you take the time to appreciate and thank the wonderful people in your life. Hit up a Metro, grab some hors-d’oeuvres that you can throw directly in the oven and you’re good to go.

3. Volunteer with the Ottawa Food Bank

Thanksgiving is usually a very busy time for food banks and this year will be no exception. Due to the tornado that swept through parts of Ottawa and Gatineau a few weeks ago, the Ottawa Food Bank is working incredibly hard to replenish the stockpile of food that had to be disposed of after the power went out. All throughout Thanksgiving weekend, Loblaws locations all around the city including the one on Rideau Street will be hosting food drives. Volunteering is fairly simple. According to the Ottawa Food Bank volunteer website, “During your volunteer shift, you will greet shoppers and hand out Ottawa Food Bank donation bags and encourage them to donate food this Thanksgiving. Help ensure everyone has a healthy meal in our community.” To sign up for a volunteer slot, you can visit: the Ottawa Food Bank Website

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! What are you doing for the holiday weekend? Comment below to let us know.

Images: 1, 2, 3

Emily first got involved in the University of Ottawa's Her Campus chapter in 2015 and is currently part of the Entertainment team. She is in her final year of Conflict Studies and Human Rights with a minor in Women's Studies, works for Public Safety Canada as a Junior Communications Officer and is the President of Theta Sigma Psi sorority.
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.