Organizing a Sustainable Event on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The Journey to Sustainability is a Her Campus uOttawa series by Yasshna Pandit, exploring the path to living a greener life with helpful tips and tricks. 

For those of us who have ever planned an event, the words “sustainable” and “budget” may not seem very compatible. Well, I’m here to tell you that it’s possible – and even easy – to host an eco-friendly event that doesn’t break the bank and is just as grand as any regular event!

According to Shawna McKinley, an Event Sustainability Specialist, there are lots of ways to incorporate green practices into your event. In her 2019 “Free Guide to Better Green Meetings,” McKinley explains why adopting a sustainable approach to event planning is more important now than ever, and how you can make your events more sustainable.

Environmentally-friendly venue locations

Opting for your event to be held outdoors, in your backyard or in a nearby park facility ensures minimum electricity wastage as well as reduces the carbon emissions caused by air-conditioners. An outdoor-event not only enriches the event experience but guarantees fresh-air, and during a pandemic, offers a great social distancing opportunity. Rather than fitting all the guests into a cramped up, closed enclosure, why not hold your birthday party in your backyard? You’ll have space for greater movement and an overall better experience for everyone attending.

Jagoda Kondratiuk
Jagoda Kondratiuk / Unsplash

Using locally-sourced produce

Planning a green event has a lot to do with sourcing local, homegrown products. Food, although it’s a major factor in determining how successful your event will be, can eat up a lot of your budget. Splurge on locally sourced produce and cut costs by making the meals yourself, rather than hiring a caterer. This guarantees fresh, organic, and unique meals that your guests will love. Arranging for food from your local farmer’s market and organizing a farm-to-table menu is sure to make the event more worthwhile and memorable, especially for city-dwelling guests.

Using locally produced food also ensures less packaging waste, especially if you opt to pick up your produce in reusable or recyclable containers. To reduce food wastage, obtaining a count for the number of guests attending the events in advance. That way, you’ll know just how much food to buy. Still stuck with leftovers? Look for a charity that accepts surplus meals or produce in your area and make a donation! If you can, offering a plant-based menu also helps reduce CO2 emissions that come from meat products. You can also use digital menus and send them along with invites to reduce the cost of printing and paper waste. A win-win situation for all, especially the environment.

white printer paper
Hello I\'m Nik/Unsplash

Reuse often

Upcycling is the easiest way to incorporate sustainability into your event. DIY event decorations made of bits and bobs you have laying around can add a unique and personal touch to the event. Having water dispensers and giving out reusable glass containers to all attendees reduces the use of plastic water bottles. Instead of placing paper towels, hand out reusable linen towels that guests can carry home with them. These towels can be customized or embroidered for the occasion. Avoiding single use plastic is a major way to keep your event sustainable; if reusables are not an option, go for biodegradable alternatives instead.

Emily Hart

Transportation

Offering shuttle services for attendees promotes carpooling, reduces carbon emissions, and saves time. If alcohol is being served, this will also encourage safety among your guests. Organising the event at a location where it is easy for the attendees to walk to is also a good idea.

patio with ottomans, tables, chairs, and lights
Photo by Taryn Elliott from Pexels

Swag and gifts

Swag is often the most looked forward to part of any event. These gifts do not have to be a burden on the environment, though. Free t-shirts and labeled plastic bottles usually end up in the waste after a few months. Instead, offering plants or seeds with a personalized message card attached to the pot is a better idea. Giving out digital gift cards is also a good option. This ensures that individuals buy only what they like instead of forcefully accepting something that will only end up in the dump pile.

dance scene from In The Heights
Photo by Warner Bros. Pictures

Waste Management System

It’s impossible to reduce your waste, but when you can’t reduce or reuse, that doesn’t mean you can’t recycle! Placing bins at your venue with labels and colour coding them into dry waste, paper, and wet waste helps minimize litter and increases the likelihood of waste going where it’s supposed to. Having designated recyclable waste bags for each bin ensures that waste disposal does not harm the environment at all.

Environmenatally-friendly events can seem like a lot to take on, but with a well-thought-out plan, it’s super easy! A carbon-conscious theme gives your event a unique identity and will impress everyone in attendance – especially your guest of honour: the planet!

A fun, quirky, positive 20-something girl living each day to the fullest! Helping you navigate your way through life’s weird experiences!