This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The Ordinary is a brand that has recently blown up on Tik Tok and has been recommended by many skincare specialists, estheticians, and dermatologists all over the internet. The brand itself is own by the company DECIEM that carries other products from other brands. The brand has built a name for itself by its surprisingly low prices, cruelty-free, fragrance-free and sustainable packaging.

Going on the site as a beginner can be very confusing as the brand is scientific based. The brand does offer a checklist of what products are oil or water based, vegan, alcohol free, gluten free, and nut free as well as the ph. of the formula. Even with the guide the formula’s and ingredients can get overwhelming and can be hard to find products based on your skins’ needs.  The following article will help you determine which products are worth buying based on the type of product and the skin concern to build a simple but effective skincare routine. 

Cleansers

The most popular cleanser DECIEM has is their Squalene Cleanser. This cleanser works on dry skin and can be used to remove makeup as well as cleanse the skin at the same time. This cleanser is a great option for those too lazy to participate in the highly regarded “double cleanse method” made popular by Korean skincare. However, I believe this product would work best for dry skin types as opposed to oilier skin ingredient wise. But to remove makeup it is a great option for all skin types. 

Serum

The great thing about this brand is that they have a serum for everyone!

Friends Excited
Giphy

For all skin types, I recommend the Hyaluronic Acid Serum for hydration (hydrated skin is happy skin). The Hyaluronic Acid works immediately for visible more plump skin. I recommend applying this serum with damp skin in order for the serum to hold the hydration to your skin. 

For dry skin, the Hyaluronic Acid works great however if you are looking for a more lightweight consistency on your face the Marine Hyaluronics works just the same and does not have the “sticky: feeling of the Hyaluronic Acid. 

For combination, oily, and acne prone skinNiacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% is an absolute gamechanger for $5.90. Niacinamide helps reduce oil production and reduce the number of blemishes on the skin. Niacinamide helps brighten the skin which can help get rid of acne scaring and hyperpigmentation. 

For sensitive skin, the product I recommend a product from Hylamide. The Sensitive Fix Booster. If you are a person who suffers from skin redness and sensitivity, this product reduces the redness significantly. Sensitive Fix has helped even the most sensitive skin and does not give your skin a reaction as it is very gentle.  

Moisturizer 

The one moisturizer available at DECIEM is their Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA. This is a great fragrance-free moisturizer that can be used on anyone. Unless you have super dry or oily skin this moisturizer is a good consistency and hydrates the skin. 

If you are looking to one-up your skincare routine, DECIEM offers a series of oils you can add to your regime. With the oils, I really like how you are able to use these products on your face and hair. This is because these oils are 100% organically cold pressed making them natural. The only downside to these oils is that they do not have the same preservatives as other oils, meaning they are more prone to expire quickly. So, in order to get the full benefits, oils need to be used fairly quick. 

Some of my favourite oils are the 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil which helps with acne scaring and does not clog pores. This oil is the best oil for oilier skin types. My other favourite oil is the 100% Plant Derived Squalene. This is a great option for hydrating the skin and works for most skin types. I found that the Squalene gave me the same glowing skin as the Glossier’s Futuredew serum but for $7.90.

DECIEM offers a wide range of products to help build a basic but affordable skincare routine for healthy skin. Based on your experience level, they offer more products to add to your routine for the same low prices. My advice is to start basic and work with what your skin care routine might need more of (like chemical exfoliation) or maybe you need to reduce the number of steps to make your routine simpler (like a good cleanser and moisturizer). It is important to experiment and see what is out there for your skin and see what works and what does not while being safe. 

Lastly, it is important to love the skin you are in and take care of yourself while doing so. 

Monica and Rachel high-fiving
Giphy

Breanne McNeil

U Ottawa '23

Breanne is a Criminology student in Canada hoping to further her experience as an author in Her Campus.
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!