This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

You guessed it-the 90’s are BACK!

Within the last couple of years, the 90’s have slowly been creeping back into our makeup bags and closets. Whether it is crop tops or heavy lip liner, we are starting to see these trends more often in our every day lives.

Gwen Stefani demonstrated one of the major makeup trends of the 90’s that is now making its way back into style. This heavy lip liner with a lighter lipstick was very popular and was often seen on celebrities whether it was on the red carpet or in everyday life. This look went out of style in the early 2000’s, but is making a return.

We’re definitely bringing sexy back with this throwback! Remember how a few years ago wearing denim with denim was an absolute sin? Well that is no longer true. Denim shirts are back in style, and people are constantly trying to find different denim combinations to wear. A denim shirt paired with jeans is now a regular sight. “Denim on Denim” was popular in the 90’s, which we can see as Britney and Justin make a statement in their denim outfits back in the day.

Even if you did not own one of these, you are definitely no stranger to this trend. If you were not interested in wearing a velour tracksuit someone you knew was definitely all over it. They were popular in the 90’s, and also made a brief appearance in the early 2000’s. Guess what? They’re back again!

Back in the day Drew knew how to rock the crop. These tops have been back in style for the past couple of years now. Even though some people think showing this much midriff is too revealing, it was extremely trendy in the 90’s. It is considered in style nowadays, and has regained its popularity.

The 90’s grudge look is making its way back into modern day fashion. Crop tops, chokers and plaid shirts. Kylie Jenner is shown here portraying a 90’s grudge look with her crop top and plaid shirt tied around her waist. People are starting to tie a plaid shirt around their waist to channel their inner 90’s, which has caused this style to make a comeback in 2014.

This fine piece of jewelry is making its way back into our lives. Don’t deny it… we all had them. These chokers are being noticed on the streets more and more. Whether you remember them from your childhood or not, these were definitely part of the 90’s.

These 90’s trends are starting to become more recognizable within our everyday lives. With these trends coming back into style, as Cher from Clueless would say, do you think people who adopt these trends are “ensembly challenged” or Fab?  

Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

My name is Jaclyn Friedlich. I am 19 years old, and currently finishing up my first year in communications at uOttawa! I have been living in Ottawa for the last 15 years and I am so happy to have stayed here for university as well!