This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Gone are the days of bright vibrant leaves. Gone are the days of Thanksgiving, Halloween and fall fun. From my personal experience, November tends to be a grim, murky month. There are a few different reasons for this. 

Firstly, the changes in weather tend to take the fun out of fall. It becomes chilly, rainy and windy – generally unpleasant weather. What’s more, it often starts to snow, but not enough for it to become a snowy, winter wonderland. No. This snow stubbornly refuses to stay put and by the end of the day will melt into cold slush. 

There is also less to celebrate. While October was filled with excitement for decadent Thanksgiving dinners and spooky Halloween nights, November lacks much of that thrill and fun. While festivities are just around the corner (Holiday season!), it still seems like a mile away and in the meantime there is little to celebrate in November. 

Lastly, as a student, November isn’t exactly the most laid back of months. Midterms tend to continue all the way into November and there is an air of stress, as preparation begins for the tidal wave of assignments and exams in the beginning of December. 

All these dislikes of November culminate into a feeling of general sadness and fatigue, and, apparently, this dislike for November isn’t uncommon. I’ve heard from multiple classmates that November tends to be a slow, lethargic month. However, I’ve found ways to cope while I wait it out for December. Finding solace in a good book, a hot cup of tea, a good playlist and cozy sweaters has done wonders for me in combatting the November blues. In addition, finding things to look forward to like the holiday season help make the month move just a little faster! So if you’re anything like me and share the same sentiment of November, take moment for yourself and break out those cozy sweaters to combat those November chills. The holidays will be here soon!

Maddie Bhamjee

U Ottawa '25

Hi, my name is Madeleine or Maddie!! I am a first-year student pursuing a double major in political science and philosophy. You'll find me writing!