This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

2019 may be a new year but your wallet is still recovering from the back-to-back holiday spending of 2018. Luckily, your fashion revamp does not have to come at a high cost! There are ways to take old pieces from your closet and bring them into the New Year. Here are some inexpensive and fun ways to update your closet.

Pins and Patches

Easiest way to add a creative touch to a denim jacket is by using patches or pins to showcase your personality. The best part about this is that they are available for a low cost at your local thrift store or even online.

Crop and Cut

This involves a little DIY. Make use of that oversized knee-length sweater sitting at the back of your closet and give it a 2019 makeover by cropping it. Added bonus about this is that unlike buying it in store, you’re in control of how cropped you want the look to be.

Embroidery

This one might be my favourite because not only is the end result insanely cute, but the process itself is ridiculously relaxing. Take any plain shirt and stencil in your favourite quote, drawing or design to give it a modern touch.

Paint

Remember when you were a kid and the goal of art class was to avoid getting paint on your clothes? Well throw caution to the wind because in 2019, we are intentionally mixing acrylics and fabric together. Achieve the racing stripe look using tape and paint and get a $30 look for $3!

Fashion is meant to be fun and creative and these are just a few ways to make sure that you look stylish and original without breaking the bank!

Vanessa is a writer on the Fashion & Beauty team at the University of Ottawa Her Campus Chapter.She is studying Social Science with a double minor in Economics and Public Administration. In her free time she loves to write, read, dance, and explore the city.
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.