This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

As an avid reader and book buyer, I’ve scouted out some of Ottawa’s bookstores in my four years here as a student. Here are some of my all-time favourites!

Black Squirrel Books

This bookstore-café is located in Old Ottawa South, just steps away from Lansdowne. There is a bit of seating if you want to grab a book and a latte. The shop sells a mix of both new and used books, but they primarily carry used books. This is a great place to study, read, and relax! Black Squirrel Books is truly my favourite bookstore in Ottawa.

All Books

Located downtown on Rideau St, All Books is a tiny bookstore crammed to the brim with used books. The organization is relative in this bookstore, but the vibes are immaculate. You truly never know what you’ll find in the stacks, but there are definitely treasures to be discovered. My favourite find from this bookstore is a vintage special edition of A Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Make sure to pop by when you’re downtown to see what you’ll find!

Barely Bruised Books

Nestled in Sandy Hill just steps away from uOttawa, Barely Bruised Books offers a wide selection of used books. This bookstore is small but cute and is perfect for a quick stop on your way to class. With everything from YA to Non-Fiction, there’s something for everyone here!

Perfect Books

You can visit Perfect Books on Elgin St. in Centretown. This indie bookstore sells new books and is the perfect place to shop when looking for something specific. The inside of the bookstore is well-organized, and the selection is great! If they don’t have the book you are looking for they can also order it for you. Supporting your local indie bookstores is so important, so be sure to check out Perfect Books!

Whether you’re just browsing or you’re on a mission to book shop, I hope you check one of these lovely stores out!

Faith Dehghan

U Ottawa '23

Faith is a fourth-year student at uOttawa who is majoring in Political Science and minoring in Conflict Studies and Human Rights. You'll usually find her reading a book, she is a major fantasy and romance novel enthusiast!