This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Fanfiction. Otherwise known as ‘fanfic’, these are self-written works created by people just like me and you. You might recognize fanfiction as the place where Fifty Shades originally started or the newest upcoming movie, After, originally was posted. People who write fanfictions, take characters from popular TV shows, and movies and create their own version of the story. Fanfiction can consist of written works, drawings, sketches, videos, pictures, Pinterest boards, etcetera.

As someone who loves reading new things, I love exploring all these different fanfiction sites to see what is available for me to read and watch. These are my favourite and top five best fanfiction sites available to use.

Fanfiction.net [ https://www.fanfiction.net ]

One of the two most popular fanfiction websites, this site was created on October 15th, 1998 by Xing Li, a computer programmer. As of 2018, there are over 10 million registered users. This domain has truckloads of fanfictions, written in over forty languages including: English, French, Spanish, Chinese, etcetera. When you first open the website, it gives you nine different sections to choose from. These nine include: Anime/Manga, Books, Movies, TV Shows, Games, Cartoons, Comics, Plays/Musicals, and Miscellaneous. To read fanfictions on this site, you don’t have to register with account and you can read as a guest. To publish your own works and interact with other authors, you must register yourself. You can make a free account and start writing as soon as you want to. This site is one of the easiest to navigate and use to read.

Archive For Our Own [ https://archiveofourown.org ]

The second most popular fanfiction website, Archive For Our Own was created in September 2008 by a group called the Organization for Transformative Works. As of 201, there are approximately 4.2 million works submitted on this domain. There are over 30,000 fandoms listed on this site. Another site that you can read for free and not have to sign up for, this site is a great website to use when you’re looking for fanfictions that are longer and updated regularly. Again, with this fanfiction site, you can create a free account to interact with other authors, write your own works and comment on stories that you enjoyed reading. This site is a little bit more complicated to use, but once you get the hang of it, can be a lot of fun to use for all sorts of fanfictions.

Wattpad [ https://www.wattpad.com ]

The young adult friendly fanfiction site was created in December 2006 by Allen Lau and Ivan Yuen. As of 2018, there have been a reported 65 million users. This is another site that people have written stories in over fifty languages, though 77% are written in English.  Over 400 million stories have been published since the beginning of the domain. This site can be used both online and on the mobile app. A quick and free easy download and a simple free sign up can give you access to millions of different fanfictions spanning multitudes of different fanbases. This site is one of the more younger age group friendly, with stories that are cute and simple versus some other sites. The Kissing Booth was originally posted as a Wattpad story in 2011 by Beth Reekles and is now one of the most watched movies on Netflix. Along with the upcoming movie After, originally published on Wattpad as well.

Tumblr [ https://www.tumblr.com ]

Created on February 19th, 2007 by David Karp, Tumblr has become one of the most trending fanfiction blog sites.  It was created as a microblogging site, in which you can post short fanfiction stories and interact with other blogs.  As of 2018, there has been a reported 449.4 million blogs that are writing, blogging, posting pictures and so on. Easily accessed on mobile devices, Tumblr has become a place for people to write short stories in the form of blog posts. To access many of the Tumblr features, an account must be created but it’s a free account that gives you access to all the stories and blog posts available on Tumblr.

GoodReads [ https://www.goodreads.com ]

The last fanfiction site was created in December of 2006 by Otis Chandler and Elizabeth Khuri. In 2016, there was a recorded 50 million users using GoodReads to access books to read. Another mobile app that holds over 10 million books, that can be accessed and read. Connected with Amazon and Kindle, this is a site that people take to typically after reading books in real life and then are able to comment and connect with others worldwide to talk about the book. Less about writing and more about talking about books afterwards.  Not as much of a fanfiction site, it is a good place to connect with people reading the same things you might be reading as well.

Whichever site you choose to read your fanfictions on, it doesn’t matter because they’re all great domains. Don’t be afraid to open up the fanfiction site, everyone has read or still reads fanfictions. Sit back, and enjoy someone’s version of your favourite book, movie or tv show.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4,

Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.