This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

As a Political Science student, people always tell me that they “don’t know enough about politics,” but would like to. They’ll often say, “I just can’t keep up!” I get it; staying on top of politics and news, especially in this day and age, can be super overwhelming. If you are someone who feels this way, and would like to try keeping up, then this is for you! 

Post Reports by The Washington Post

Post Reports is run by journalists, reporters and experts from the Washington Post who truly get to the roots of the most talked-about news in American and global politics. What I like about Post Reports is that they are not super partisan. In other words, they don’t spit tons of biased and personal opinions when they detail the occurrences of newsworthy events. While they are slightly left leaning, sometimes you can hardly tell which side of the political spectrum they support, and in my opinion, that’s how it should be! I listen to this podcast every day and it keeps me educated about the ongoings in American politics which heavily influences Canadian and global politics as well. To put it simply, this is an interesting way to stay informed, you can listen to it anytime, and it’s free! 

Can He Do That? by The Washington Post

The Washington Post started the podcast series Can He Do That? when President Trump took office in the United States. Each episode simply discussed the plausibility of whether the President could actually do what he said he could. Now that Joe Biden is the President, the series continues! This series is important because it breaks down the likelihood of the President’s claims and ensures that people don’t panic. Just because the President says he can do something, doesn’t necessarily mean he can! 

The Daily by The New York Times 

The New York Times’ “The Daily” is an informative and interesting podcast. Not only does this podcast give a full run-down on the most important and newsworthy political happenings in the United States, but it does so in 20 minutes! TheDaily’s host, Michael Barbaro, asks insightful questions to the experts and journalists in order to get to the core of every event. This podcast is great for anyone who wants to become more informed about American politics, without having to put aside a lot of time for it. 

Power and Politics by the CBC

Power and Politics, run by CBC Radio, focuses on Canadian politics including the government’s problems, quandaries, ideas, and solutions. Power and Politics fosters healthy debate between panelists including members of parliament and ministers. This is the perfect pod for anyone who is looking to get a double-sided view of every issue, without biases or strict partisanship to either party. CBC Radio does an exceptional job of ensuring that their reporting is neutral, promoting tough questions and the flow of meaningful information and knowledge from both political parties. 

Give these pods a listen, and let us know what you think!

Grace Lachance is a singer/songwriter, musician, producer, martial artist, and a second-year student studying political science and conflict studies on human rights. She has always had a strong passion for writing and is excited to be a member of the Her Campus community!
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!