This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

I’ve been a major restaraunt lover and foodie for as long as I can remember. Seriously, what’s not to love about restaraunts? In a city with such a diverse array of dining options like Ottawa, there options are virtually endless! As someone who has tried and tasted so many amazing restaraunts around the city, here is a list of my top five favourite places to go!

Lexington smokehouse and bar

If you’re ever in the mood for some delicious BBQ, this should be your go-to spot. From fried chicken to brisket to burgers, this restaraunts features some amazing and unique Southern inspired dishes. With a cool and sophisticated interior, the ambience of this restaraunt is incredible and makes it the perfect destination for a date-night or group outing.

Heartbreakers Pizza

This little pizza shop is relatively new to Ottawa, having opened its doors around the beginning of the pandemic. I’ve tried a lot of different pizzas in my time and I’m not exaggerating when I say that this has been hands-down, the most delicious pizza I have tasted to date. Their pizzas are packed with flavour and topped with delicious combinations of toppings including jalapenos and honey, which sounds weird on pizza but somehow works!

The elgin street diner

Whenever you need a poutine or milkshake at midnight, the Elgin Street Diner is your spot. Open 24 hours a day and seven days a week, this classic Ottawa diner is equipped to serve all your late night or early morning cravings. Their huge menu features just about anything from bacon and eggs, to club sandwiches, to their delicious poutine. Not to mention, their milkshakes are incredible and huge! If you ever pay them a visit, the cherry milkshake is by far the best of them all.

north and navy

Based on Northern Italian cuisine, this fancy downtown destination is a must-visit for anyone who loves Italian food. While I have admittedly never dined inside their restaraunt due to COVID, I have had the opportunity to enjoy their delicious takeout meals. They have such a unique menu featuring various Northern Italian dishes and pastas along with classic Italian desserts like Tiramasu and Panna Cotta.

The table vegetarian restaurant

Last but not least is The Table, a neighbourhood staple of mine which has been around for over a decade. Their dishes are served buffet style and are incredible! While I am a meat lover, I have to say that their dishes are so filling and packed with flavour. They have so many different options to choose from but the greatest by far are their tofu fritters and refreshing avocado salad. They also have some delicious vegan and vegetarian desserts if you have a sweet tooth.

Maddie Bhamjee

U Ottawa '25

Hi, my name is Madeleine or Maddie!! I am a first-year student pursuing a double major in political science and philosophy. You'll find me writing!