This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The return to school is filled with many exciting things, such as catching up with friends, going to your favorite spots, and getting back into the school routine (okay that last one, not so exciting). Soon you will be back to your usual: Wake up early, go to class, eat, study, work, sleep, and social life (if you can fit it all in). While you are running around completing all those last minute school errands, why not stop to get your back checked by a chiropractor and make sure your spine is aligned?

I know what you’re thinking; you probably don’t do any heavy lifting or physical labour so why do you need to see a chiropractor. Being a student is actually really hard on your spine; from hauling those heavy textbooks around, trying to find a comfortable way to sit in class, and slouching over your notes studying for midterms. Plus don’t forget your neck! Straining to see what the prof wrote on the board, bending over a laptop and other classroom activities can lead to some serious neck pain. Neck pain can lead to headaches and no one wants one of those when you’re trying to pay attention in class. After eight months of school, your back and neck can get really bent out of shape.

Being a student also does not leave much room in your wallet. Don’t worry, ByWard Chiropractic (a short walk on the edge of the market, located on Cumberland street between York and Clarence) is offering a great deal on initial exams for the month of September. This includes all scans and x-rays, complimentary, all for the price of an adjustment ($45 regularly, $35 for students). This is open to all students and faculty members at uOttawa, but there are a limited numbers of spots so it is first come first serve. This is great because if you suspect you might have a problem you don’t have to pay an arm and a leg. Plus if you carry our school’s health insurance, you are covered for chiropractic services. Click here for their website. Bonus: feeling stressed about school? They also have massage therapy!

Prevention is just as important as treatment so Her Campus uOttawa has a quick list on how to keep that back of yours in perfect shape.  A perfect gently curved shape that is!

How to keep a healthy back as a student:

1.    A full backpack should be no more than 10 to 15 per cent of the wearer’s body weight. The heavier the item, the closer you should pack it to your body. Backpacks should never be worn on one shoulder, or else it will lead to a curved back. More here!

2.    Exercise regularly and stretch. Yoga is great to do both simultaneously! Stretching is especially important during those long study sessions (try to stretch every 30 minutes). Try some of these yoga inspired desk stretches by the Huffington Post.  Bonus: exercising is a good way to fight school stress!!

3.    Posture posture posture!!! How do you sit? You should always be sitting at a 90 degree angle (your arms should be 75-90 degrees). Knees should be even with your hips, and shoulders straight! Imagine your mother is sitting behind you and telling you to sit up straight, whenever you begin to slump.

4.    Sleep position. Avoid sleeping on your stomach; sleeping on your side is the most preferred by doctors, and sleeping on your back is fine provided you put a pillow under your knees and lower back.

5.    Don’t put off back pain. The worst thing you can do is ignore it, and the longer you do, the longer it will take to get your healthy spine back. Better safe than sorry!

Picture Credits

Cover Picture, 1, 2

It was wonderful to work with Her Campus UOttawa. I am an English student who is interested in politics and economics. I love to travel (I have been to China, Thialand, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland), watch and play sports (Go Leafs Go), play video games (I am currently replaying the Legend of Zelda games for N64), and bake yummy treats (chocolate or lemon flavored). Since leaving HerCampus and UOttawa I have gone on to the University of Saskatchewan and entered into the Collage of Education.